Mercury Outboards

Nag Juice

12 minutes ago, Nag Juice said:

Has anyone seen or used the new 6 cylinder motors? I just saw that you can get it in 175hp.  I thought it was Interesting and since the Yammer Hammer 175 is 4 cylinders... could this be a threat? 

I think so.  The New Mercury 175 is lighter, yet has larger displacement.  The Merc gear case has been totally redesigned for low drag and high speed too.

They aren't due for delivery to customers until May.  There aren't any performance bulletins out yet.  But yes, they are going to be a big threat to Yamaha if the hype about them turns out to be true.  The 225 hp version is a full 30 lbs lighter than the 225 SHO,  they are available in either mechanical or electronic controls, and in either black or white with differing accent colors to boot.  They have a futuristic look that grows on you, and the ability to check the oil level without taking the cowling off is a big improvement!   And from what I have read, their out the door price is substantially lower than Yamaha.  They especially are going to be a threat to Yamaha since Yamaha in not even around.  LOL  On repowers, Yamaha is not delivering motors 150 HP and larger until 2019.   

All of the above is believed to be accurate, since I read it all on the world wide web!  LOL

1 minute ago, JEM said:

They aren't due for delivery to customers until May.  There aren't any performance bulletins out yet.  But yes, they are going to be a big threat to Yamaha if the hype about them turns out to be true.  The 225 hp version is a full 30 lbs lighter than the 225 SHO,  they are available in either mechanical or electronic controls, and in either black or white with differing accents colors to boot.  They have a futuristic look that grows on you, and the ability to check the oil level without taking the cowling off is a big improvement!   And from what I have read, their out the door price is substantially lower than Yamaha.  They especially are going to be a threat to Yamaha since Yamaha in not even around.  On repowers, Yamaha is not delivering motors 150 HP and larger until 2019.   

I think if the bugs are worked out, they might have something big on their hands. It’s definitely tempting.... I’m not a huge fan of the looks but I guess it could grow on me with time. 

Just looking at the pictures, I didn't care much for them on first look, especially the black ones.  But the white version keeps growing on me.  I think the white 225 would look cool on my Pathy.  But the other big thing to me is it is American made!!!!!  I have looked at videos of them idling at the dock, and all you can hear is the water peeing.   Everyone has remarked how unbelievably quiet they are.   And there is no shortage of selling and servicing Mercury dealers, unlike Suzuki, where they can be few and far between.   But I agree, if there are few or no bugs, I think they will have a wiener!

Here's the numbers I have heard........there's always the dreaded rigging cost, upgrade to fly by wire, etc.. If I was buying a 200 hp, the Merc is way above what I see in the Yamaha and Suzuki four cylinder engine.

Quotes from my Merc dealer.

Mechanical shift:
new 225XL would cost you 15,399 plus tax for the engine only
new 225XXL would cost you 15,592.50 plus tax for the engine only.

1 hour ago, DonV said:

Here's the numbers I have heard........there's always the dreaded rigging cost, upgrade to fly by wire, etc.. If I was buying a 200 hp, the Merc is way above what I see in the Yamaha and Suzuki four cylinder engine.

Quotes from my Merc dealer.

Mechanical shift:
new 225XL would cost you 15,399 plus tax for the engine only
new 225XXL would cost you 15,592.50 plus tax for the engine only.

The online chatter is that the mechanical shift Mercury will hook up with Yamaha controls.  I don't know if that is true or not.  But I don't know where you can find any new Yamaha 225, SHO or F series, for $15,592.50.

Winner in the 175class, but in the 200&225 class, the SHO's is bigger at 4.2L, and that's a lot of displacement for only 30 more pounds.

I like that its a 4v (vs the xspros115 2v) and has some nice new features as mentioned. Looks like a real nice motor, and it'll be available if you need one... I was told the white paint will cost $1300 more.

2 hours ago, captpn said:

Winner in the 175class, but in the 200&225 class, the SHO's is bigger at 4.2L, and that's a lot of displacement for only 30 more pounds.

I like that its a 4v (vs the xspros115 2v) and has some nice new features as mentioned. Looks like a real nice motor, and it'll be available if you need one... I was told the white paint will cost $1300 more.

Well $1300 is about a crazy number to me as you can get. I think Suzuki is like $200 for the white.

6 hours ago, captpn said:

Its not really meant to compete with the SHO as much as it is the I200 Yamaha. They still have the pro xs line to compete with the SHO. I have a feeling later this year the big Pro XS line will be switched to 4 stroke to compete with the SHO

• 4 weeks later...

Archived