North Captiva, Bokeelia, Pineland recomendations

Lap it Up

Hey guys,

I rented a house on North Captiva island March 23-26.  I am a veteran of the Placida and Little Gasparilla side of Charlotte Harbor but this is my first time staying south.  I am looking for places on the water since all I will have is my boat.  Grocery stores, A place to buy live bait (If I am unsuccessful cast netting), best restaurants or bars, etc.  I know Boca Grande has what I may need, i'm just trying to see new areas and places. Any and all help is appreciated.

As linesider said, Pineland marina is where you want to launch and park your vehicle. Pretty quick run from there to North Cap. Closest grocery store will be the Winn Dixie on Pine Island, which is about 5 miles south of Pineland Marina on Stringfellow Road.  

You can get live shrimp at Pineland, but as far as pilchards, threadfins, etc., you will need to net your own. A lot of people look for them just north of Captiva Pass (on the inside) or just south of Useppa Island (very shallow).

Tarpon Lodge (just south of Pineland Marina and reachable by boat) has the best restaurant on Pine Island in my opinion, but is pricey. Our other favorites on Pine Island are the Saltwater Smokehouse and El Pollo Rico. Lazy Flamingo can be reached by boat as can Woody's on the south end and both are pretty good. Avoid Cap'n Cons on the northern tip of Pine Island.

Look hard at a chart before heading for North Cap from Pineland. It's tempting to want to head directly SW toward Captiva pass, but don't do that unless you are following someone who knows where they are going.  After leaving the marked channel from Pineland, bear NW and go around Part Island and then head back SW between Part Island and Useppa. Get well clear of the south of Useppa and follow the ICW before bearing back to the west and North Cap. 

Thanks guys!  I will Google the names and take a look.  My brother owns a house on LGI so I am very familiar with what goes on with humping everything needed to a barrier island.  This will be my first time staying on North Captiva and I am looking forward to it.  I did an Owners meet and greet at Tarpon Lodge a few years back and remember it being tricky shallow around there.  I'll mark some charts and keep an eye out!  Thanks again.

Plus... Lazy Flamingo will cook what you catch, and add a side for $8.50, or a least that's what it used to be.  North Cap. has a place called Barnacle's good food, nice atmosphere. As far as bait.....Pineland Marina would be closest. Not sure if there is anything on N. Cap. or not that sells bait. Several marinas on Sanibel south of where you are staying that may sell bait don't know. Here is a site I stumbled on that has a little info about the area.

http://www.northcaptiva.net/IslandDining.htm

Archived