Lake Okeechobee crappie fishing questions

Whiskeytrain

hey guys, I’ve never fished for crappie or even on Lake Okeechobee for that matter despite living in Broward County for most of my life. Looking to try a fishery. I have an 18ft hewes flats boat and was looking for a general starting point for Lake Okeechobee. Not looking for any hot spots, just a little guidance. What boat Ramps would be a good starting point? Are there areas to avoid in a flats boat due to thick grass or hazards? Do you guys recommend fishing live minnow around the grass?

Thanks for any info.

I've never fished Big O for Crappie but I've fished it plenty for bass and always see the crappie guys out there.   We used to fish out of the main ramp on the Kissimmee River and they Crappie boats were always stacked up in areas along the river.  You'll also see them when you come out of the river and head left/NE past the large point in the grass beds up there.  We have fished the Harney Pond area the last couple of years and see several drifting and anchoring along the grass flats on the North Shore area.  You can probably find the spots just by looking at Google Earth.

Live Minnows are the trick.  Either around the grass or in the deeper channels depending on the temps.  

Archived