leftcoastangler

1993 Bonefisher 16 restore

New to the forum and thought I'd share my pics and story while I go through the restoration of my 1993 Hewes Bonefisher 16.  My first boat was a 1995 J14 Carolina skiff with a 25 hp Mercury tiller engine.  The CS was a great starter boat and caught lots of fish over the 5 years I had her, but it was time to move on to something a little bigger and better.  I've always loved the look of the classic lappy hulls and I finally got my hands on one back in September of 2017.  I bought the boat from Three Rivers Marine in Crystal River when I saw it on a Craigslist ad.  I came across this forum, which has been a wealth of information, and saw a post from a user with a similar boat (CaptCrunch).  His post on the restoration of his 92 Bonefisher 16 inspired me to reach out to him for some further info.  I live in St. Petersburg and decided to use the same boat builder for my restoration.  Dropped the boat off to Deno Boatworks at the end of December.  Too many new updates to list, but this boat will be fully updated and hopefully like new again in the coming weeks.

I haven't taken too many pics of the progress so far, but I'll take some soon and post if anyone is interested.  As you can see from the pics included, I decided to re-power with the brand new Yamaha VMAX 90 SHO engine.  It's possible that I'm one of only a few on the Gulf Coast who own this engine, but I'm sure this is the only Lappy that I've seen with a 90 SHO engine on it.  I'm excited to get it in the water and get some performance stats soon.

starboard side.JPG

old forward deck.JPG

old console.JPG

stern to bow 2.JPG

transom.JPG

original console.jpg

non-skid paint.jpeg

engine in crate.jpg

with engine.JPG

going in a different direction with the restore process, but there’s been a little progress since my last post.  I’ll share pics when I have the boat back home at the end of the week.

thanks for the interest!

On 4/11/2018 at 1:32 AM, leftcoastangler said:

going in a different direction with the restore process, but there’s been a little progress since my last post.  I’ll share pics when I have the boat back home at the end of the week.

thanks for the interest!

did you replace the fuel tank?

if so, please post pics..if not, why?

dc

I did not replace the fuel tank.  The owner before me never reported any leaks, the dealership that had the boat on consignment did all of the maintenance on that boat and also tested the tank before putting it on sale.  They didn't find any leaks.  I never smelled any gas in that area and never saw any signs of leaked gas either.  The guy who is doing work on the boat also felt that the tank was in great shape.  The appearance of the tank is also pretty *** good for a 25 year old boat.  Super clean overall.