98 mirage 2

Halker

So wanting others opinions on the self bailing cockpit holes on the mirage 2. Mine were previously filled in, but wondering if I should open them back up. Just wondering if water ever came in on other boats, and did the load make a difference?

Does it have any way to remove water from cockpit now?   Not familar with that boat but IMO as a safety precaution you have to have the ability to remove water from cockpit.  Otherwise taking a wave over bow or even just being tied up at dock during an afternoon rainstorm could put it down. 

Due to design, under load water will get in without a plug as will likely be at/below the water line. Plus, these boats tend to tip "side to side" easily do to the hull design, so the thru hull would be under water line on one side with people walking around. Again, if you keep the plugs in (if you reopen), should be no issues. They do leak at these points, at the meeting of the outside hull and thru hull sleeve, and perhaps why filled in? Or, since you're thinking of redoing, just move the thru hole up a bit? Don't know if ya want even more holes on your hull ( : . Also, you definitely have a 2 with the holes filled? I believe the HP's were the first to go to no scuppers like the current HPX's.

I personally like a self bailing hull. Again, I just keep the plugs in most of the time...

Just--these old school hulls in addition have a drain to the bilge at the back middle...

Tighe lines! 

Yes it has a bilge drain in cockpit. And yes 100% it had these two self bailing holes. I'm considering redriloing them because areas like the keys and etc, makes you feel a little safer knowing you can self bail. And I'm positive it's a 2 

Archived