Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dabear

Tampa bay tide Guru's

Recommended Posts

In the tampa bay  , south shore area , what wind direction will make the tide level way lower than the tide charts suggest  ? Also what wind direction will stall the incoming tide ?   If low tide should be -6 at 7:00 AM and at 9:30 its even lower what usually will cause that to happen ?   Joe R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strong winds out of the north and northeast will really lower the outgoing tides down there, especially new and full moon winter tides. I'm talking 8" to 12", it's crazy. No need to ask me how I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Don V . I asked Capt. Matt Ercoli and he answered my e mail the same time you answered on the forum . My tide chart times and water level have been off almost as often as they have been correct . I thank you both for the information . Joe R 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonV said:

Strong winds out of the north and northeast will really lower the outgoing tides down there, especially new and full moon winter tides. I'm talking 8" to 12", it's crazy. No need to ask me how I know.

Yep. Just think about the wind blowing the water out of the bay, or pushing it in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Yep. Just think about the wind blowing the water out of the bay, or pushing it in. 

Hurricane , the last 10 months since I retired I have a very narrow window of opportunity(3 hrs.)  that I can fish On week days so I have been watching tides and times very close . With all the windy days we have had the last few weeks the times and water levels have been way off . Todays tide was way lower and later than the charts . They where so low that after looking at bull frog creek we made a U turn and headed back home . 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait a minute here,,,,,,,,you just retired and you only have 3 hours to fish, thats not how I think retirement is supposed to work. :D

The winter low tides are hard to fish, and when the wind blows it out even more forget about it. Some people are pros at fishing those super low tides, Im not one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out this site, it gives a lot of info. It may not help in predicting before you go out, but if you watch it regularly over time you can learn how to make your own better prediction.

Notice it shows the predicted tide and the actual observed tide, then look at the block with the wind. You will see how they wind effects the tide.  The block showing current speed is pretty cool also.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports/ports.html?id=8726607&mode=composite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Wait a minute here,,,,,,,,you just retired and you only have 3 hours to fish, thats not how I think retirement is supposed to work. :D

The winter low tides are hard to fish, and when the wind blows it out even more forget about it. Some people are pros at fishing those super low tides, Im not one of them. 

We have three grand kids that live with us , they go to elementary and middle school . Schools start and stop at different times, we get them ready drop them off and pick them up gives us 45 mins each way to ramp and back home  1/2 hour to clean boat and 3 hrs to fish . Being a full time grand parent kind of changes what you would think being retired is . Not a lot of fun but best thing for these kids .  

  Hurricane thanks for the noa info I have seen that many times but never really looked at the actual and observed tide graph , I guess if your not looking for it you can miss it .I did . Thanks  I will keep a eye on the two graphs .   Joe R

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dabear said:

We have three grand kids that live with , they go to elementary and middle school . Schools start and stop at different times, we get them ready drop them off and pick them up gives us 45 mins each way to ramp and back home and 3 hrs to fish . Being a full time grsnd parent kind of changes what you would think being retired is . Not a lot of fun but best thing for these kids .  

Well that sounds like a good reason to miss out on some fishing time, and I totally understand how much time that can take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tide is some what like a wave. The current and tide on the west coast come from the south when the tide is rising. Any north quadrant wind will reduce the predicted high tide and reduce the predicted low. In the same note, any southerly quadrant wind will raise the predicted high and low tide.

When fishing in my area I have places that are only productive at high tide. At times I will start as far south as Clearwater and then fish my way north all the way to Hudson. This will allow me several hours to fish areas at the peak of the high tide. Tampa Bay is sort of a dead end for the tides. The water can only go so far so any wind from the north can really slow the progress of an incoming tide. That results in slower than normal current and tide height. And you better really watch it in Tampa bay on a falling tide with a north east wind. You can watch the water run right out from under you.

http://www.tides.net/map/state-map.php?Florida

Here is another multi station tide site I use.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

The tide is some what like a wave. The current and tide on the west coast come from the south when the tide is rising. Any north quadrant wind will reduce the predicted high tide and reduce the predicted low. In the same note, any southerly quadrant wind will raise the predicted high and low tide.

When fishing in my area I have places that are only productive at high tide. At times I will start as far south as Clearwater and then fish my way north all the way to Hudson. This will allow me several hours to fish areas at the peak of the high tide. Tampa Bay is sort of a dead end for the tides. The water can only go so far so any wind from the north can really slow the progress of an incoming tide. That results in slower than normal current and tide height. And you better really watch it in Tampa bay on a falling tide with a north east wind. You can watch the water run right out from under you.

http://www.tides.net/map/state-map.php?Florida

Here is another multi station tide site I use.

 

 

 

Thanks Capt.Troy  that's good helpful information .   Joe R j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterdays tide at the rail road tracks and the little manatee river was almost a full foot more water and almost a hour early . I checked the NOA chart that hurricance suggested and old tampa tides where off almost the same amount . 

          Thanks again Hurricane for the info .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, flatsdoctor said:

Joe,

skip school with the grandkids and take them fishing for 6 hrs, just don’t tell grandma

:)

Great idea except 95% of the time when the boat goes out grand ma is in it . She is my fishing partner , she loves it and is good at it . When we take the grand kids its usually a week end trip that is there day to fish .Just as much fun helping/watching them fish . Week day short peaceful trips are usually for the wife and I . ( just need to time the tides better)   That was a good idea flatsdoctor ( my grand son would love it) did that with our kids a couple times a million years ago .😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had tournaments in the bay where it blew 20 mph all night and the flats had almost an extra 2 foot of water on the flats. A south or southwest wind will hold the tide in, and a north or northeast wind will hold it out. 

Negative lows can be good in the bay, but once you go north of gandy the productive areas on negative tides shrink a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×