What kind of boat or motor upgrades?

FLSnookhunter

So I just purchased my first Maverick, a 1997 17’ Master Angler with a 98 115 Yamaha. I love it so far and have started to clean it up and do basic maintenance. My question is what upgrades have you guys done to your MA’s that you like and what basics can I do to an older 2 stroke that will keep it running strong. EF218F09-C771-4445-8FAB-DEB215D5EEF6.thumb.jpeg.26b3bb872c1cbf8e9c1c2841dcbf03fa.jpeg

Good tune up in the motor, IPilot, power pole(s), good plotter and a decent Stereo. I always had tillers but recently upgraded to an IPilot and it was a game changer. I never got a power pole but it was on the list. I stuck a pair of JLs in the bow with a Fusion head Unit. It does ok, but I think it needs an amp. 

46 minutes ago, Nag Juice said:

Good tune up in the motor, IPilot, power pole(s), good plotter and a decent Stereo. I always had tillers but recently upgraded to an IPilot and it was a game changer. I never got a power pole but it was on the list. I stuck a pair of JLs in the bow with a Fusion head Unit. It does ok, but I think it needs an amp. 

All of the above. But Im not a stereo guy, I just use a bluetooth speaker. 

Whenever I buy a used outboard no matter what the previous owner told me he did, I do a complete tune up (Water pump kit including housing, LU pressure check and seal replacements if needed, fresh gear lube, poppet valve and hose, thermostats, remote oil tank filter, Racor filter, primer ball, fuel line check, plugs and deep creep seafoam De-carb. I also pay special attention to the oiling system. Get a manual and learn to use a meter.  Check main tank (on engine) float. make sure oil is clean, make sure all connections in and out of rigging tube and in the pan are secure and free of corrosion. Make sure buzzer and overheat system works properly (grounding out thermo switches on each cylinder head).  Those V4 Yamahas are great engines if maintained properly.  Run good oil (Penzoil Premium Plus is my favorite) and clean Rec fuel, you will be good to go.   Accessories all depend on how you use your boat.  The main Musts for me are: 24v trolling motor, Power pole, Jackplate, Good chart plotter and a reliable well fit trailer. 

I have a 98' 17 MA with a 130 Yam, best boat I've ever had. Do the maintenance that Lap It Up mentioned above and you'll be good to go. When changing the water pump be sure and change the seals he mentioned, it's critical to keep water out of the lower unit. There are two drive shaft seals under the impeller and also a seal and o-ring on the shift shaft cover. Try not to crack the shift shaft cover when removing, its plastic. Be sure and "pre-load" the drive shaft when putting it back together. Simply lift up on the drive shaft while tapping down on the impeller locking collar to pre-load the shaft. If you hear a yam 2-stroke "ting", it's because they didn't pre-load the shaft. 

Also have the compression checked if you haven't already done so, the head gaskets do go bad and should be changed about every 7 years. Maintenance is cheap but repairs are expensive. My 98' runs like new and she turns 20 this year.

AGM batteries are awesome, I went with Optima for both my starting and trolling motor so far no issues.

This last one sounds simple but for me was a big deal, Rod Holders! I like being organized on the water, I designed and installed custom rod holders on the center console and poling platform. I'm embarassed of how many rod holders I have but I often fish with 3 people on the boat and we leave the dock with 15 (or more) rods sometimes and you'll never see a rod laying on the deck. The rod holders actually wrap around the console, spent a ton of time designing and making them but they are so practical. I have the same console as you, if you or anyone else is interested let me know and I'll share what I did, I've never seen rod holders like these, basic but practical and they look great too. I even incorporated a few cup holders. 

You're going to love that boat, congrats!

X2 ON .....trailer maint....can't get to fish if you can't get to the ramp....

Check all your trailer stuff especially the AXLE.....I did an was happy to do so....

Tires as well.....nothing worse than a blow out on the highway...

I ONLY USE MAXXIS AND HAVE THEM BALANCED AT YOUR LOCAL TIRE STORE...ORDER MAXXIS ON LINE...bearings repacked etc. are a  must...don't forget to check all the wiring connections on the trailer....nothing worse than a zero dark thirty start and the trailer lights are not working and you can't get on the road...

BILGE PUMPS ARE A MUST TO CHECK....AS WELL AS ANY "PLASTIC CONNECTIONS" on the older skiffs....

I re-wired my entire stern area and moved it under the seat....

batteries....AGM's for trolling motors....DON'T USE AGM'S FOR THE STARTING..NOT RECOMMENDED ONLY USE WATER BASED WITH THE REQUIRED RESERVE CAPACITY OR YOU'LL DAMAGE YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM....SEE YAMAHA RECOMMENDATIONS ON BATTERY TYPES AND USES....

ALSO, I would replace all the oil in holding tank and on the engine....no idea how old it is?  also, on the holding tank there is a filter...be sure to change it out or you could have a clog...blow out the lines to insure no gooped up oil...

FUEL TANK: Be sure to check your anti-siphon valve...on my skiff it was clogged with gunk....take it off, and change with a new one $15 for a good Moeller type....easy peasy...

Power POLE INSTALL: EASY TO DO, JUST NEED TO PUT THE PUMPS UNDER THE SEAT....

HAVE FUN REBUILDING :)

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED..HAPPY TO HAVE YOU COME BY AND SEE MY UPGRADES....

SEE PAGE 6 OF WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR BOAT ON MAIN FORUM FOR PICS OF REWIRE.

DC

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, congrats - it really is a special boat, and you've cleaned yours up nicely!  What a beauty!

As for "stuff" a few thoughts:

- Equipment:  #1 upgrade is an Ipilot - get the newest one with the puck, it is an absolute game changer.   I mean, it is a life changing piece of equipment.   #2 really depends on how you fish.   A power pole would be a REALLY nice addition, but only if you tend to "spot fish" more than drift.  I love having a side scan xducer, and the Lowrance Elite TIs are a pretty good value IMO.  Another MAJOR (cheap) upgrade is a ram mount for your electronics ($45).  Being able to swivel it around when you are fishing from the front of the boat is a really nice feature.   I have a "stick it" anchor pin and love it.  Not nearly as nice as a Power Pole, but for the price, pretty darned hard to beat and very convenient.

- Maintenance - the stuff above is spot on - go with that.  Clean your decks extremely well, then put a (VERY VERY LIGHT) coating of woody's wax on it - HUGE upgrade, just be careful the first few trips after doing it - can be slick for the first trip or two, then it settles in.

- Organization - probably the most under-rated free "upgrade" to a boat.   Spend the time getting the boat organized for the way you run and fish.  Get your safety gear in the right place, accessible (including a manual bilge pump!).   Get your "systems" in place so that when you are on the water, everything is where you need it.   Small things like an accessible container to throw lures/hooks/jig heads in (to be re-organized later), leaders easily accessible, tackle boxes in a good place.  Starboard can be your friend, because you can attach a section to your console, then attach "stuff" to it without adding additional holes to your console.

One other major upgrade if you can afford it.  Go get a custom cover made.  REALLY expensive, but having dealt with cheapo, non fitting covers that fill up with water, I'll happily drop the 1,000-1,300 for a custom cover - easy on, easy off, keeps the water out, looks nice, protects the boat.   

I agree with most everything posted thus far. All great info! 

Do not buy an iPilot or the likes until you go on someone else's boat that has one. The noises that thing makes while turning and the beeps drive me nutz! They spook fish for sure when using them in shallower water; probably doesn't matter in deep water though. I prefer old school TM's all the way. 

I used Deka AGM starting batteries on my old 17MA that had a 135 Merc Black Max on it. They worked great & never an issue. Definitely a lot more reliable than old school water batteries IMO. 

You can buy a nearly perfect fitting, high quality boat cover for a 1/3 of the price of a custom cover online. I bought a mist gray Carver SunDura Supreme Aqua Shield cover for $329 on iboats dot com and couldn't be happier. I had two top of the line covers in the past and cannot tell any difference in the performance of the material. 

Enjoy that beautiful rig!! 

On February 28, 2018 at 5:45 AM, Lap it Up said:

... Get a manual and learn to use a meter...

And the winner is!!! All above is great but this will save you thousands over the life of any boat, old or new. The money spent on electrical components because of loose grounds, dead shorts, bad switches, etc... probably props up the boating industry. Plus, in most cases, electrical components can't be returned when you discover the pump, or whatever, wasn't the problem. 

Archived