Bob’s Jack Plate Pump/Motor Replacement

FROZEN

I have an ‘08 2200TE. The jack plate operation works 90% of the time. Last year, up and down would sometimes stick until I lightly rapped one solenoid with a hammer to get it working again. The pump, motor, reservoir, and solenoids are located on one plate.

I had both solenoids replaced last year to correct. At the time, the mechanic suggested that I replace the entire pump assembly, including new hoses,  for about $1k. I opted for the solenoids only.

Soon after, the pump would stop working until, you guessed it, I rapped with a hammer to dislodge a stuck brush. Then it would be fine.

My questions are......

Replacement of the pump/solenoid plate seems easy. Easily accessible and $375. https://bobsmachine.com/product-category/jack-plate-accessories-replacement-parts/jack-plate-accessories-replacement-parts-hydraulic-pump-parts-accessories/

What’s involved with the hydraulics? Are new hoses needed? How do you bleed the system when the new pump plate is installed? Bob’s was less than helpful when I asked for a complete procedure/manual. Am I overthinking this? Anyone else done this, or is this a dealer only fix b/c of hose routings?

Any other components I might need to replace?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Just use the installation manual for instructions on bleeding etc. (you just cycle it, it is self bleeding) Inspect the hoses, if you see any damage to the casing or if they have been pinched, replace. Hoses are rated for 1 million cycles at a pressure 1.33 times its maximum rating. A jackplate application will never fatigue a hose. Just so long as it is not physically damaged in some way, it will be good.

Thanks Rick!

That’s all I need to know. At ten years old, I think it’s time to replace instead of patching. So here I go!

By the way, we own the prettiest PF color there is! My grand daughter named it Frozen from her obsession with the movie and the characters color scheme.

Mike

1 minute ago, smilemaker said:

The hydraulic  system on a Bob's jackplate is nothing more than the old mercury sterndrive motor. Call your local dealer.

The easy way to remember wire colors is blue skies above green grass below.

Blue wire makes it go up

Green wire makes it go down.

Thanks Smilemaker! Great advice.....I always forget to take before pictures.

M

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 7:23 AM, FROZEN said:

My questions are......

Replacement of the pump/solenoid plate seems easy. Easily accessible and $375. https://bobsmachine.com/product-category/jack-plate-accessories-replacement-parts/jack-plate-accessories-replacement-parts-hydraulic-pump-parts-accessories/

For $375..you'll have a new system...well worth the money.....should take an hour or so....be sure to flush the lines and push all the old oil with air to push it out....I sunk my rigging area on my pathfinder and actually re-built it with instructions from Bob's....but, if you have the $$$ just get a new one.....piece of mind on the water IMHO

Keep the other unit's solenoids as back up....I used to carry one and did change it out....buy some extra oil when you order as the 20-20 is not easy to find.

I agree with above....no way do you need new hoses...

DC

Guys, 

After buying a replacement pump and board w/solenoids, no hoses, I proceeded with disassembly of the old one. Disconnecting wires, I found one wire (the big red jumper between the solenoids) felt loose. I got my SO to hold the turn signal handle in various positions, and found intermittent operation when the wire was wiggled. The wire was corroded and had very high resistance in the sleeve about an inch in.

I replaced every wire on the pump board and every other I could reach. Then, three crimp connections on the recently replaced solenoids pulled out in my hand. 

Ive used the boat three or four times now and the jack plate works flawlessly. I’ve had a word with my mechanic, showed him pictures, and handed him the wires and connectors. The service manager happened by to say hi, and soon apologized. He offered my money back, but I told him to use it for training for his people in the art of proper crimping, so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.I honestly think he’ll do some remedial education.

So I’ve got a spare pump in my garage, because it WILL fail one day. Lots of lessons on this one!

Thanks all for your support!

• 3 years later...

I have an action series that all the sudden the jack plate won't go up and down. When I activate the switch the pump makes a noise like it's moving it but it doesn't move. Any ideas? It's a 2017 model. Bob's is telling me that they believe either my shuttle valve or check valve is stuck. They sell a $400 retrofit kit but the outboard has to be taken off and parts deleted 😳 Does anybody else have any other ideas??