Ceramic Coatings - anyone have experience with these?

Arthur

Bought a 2007 2200V Stars n stripes blue back in October and I have it at the detailer getting the gelcoat wetsanded and compounded.  He was telling me about a “ceramic” coating that he can put on the boat that seals and shines... he had a ski boat in his shop last night that he just finished and it was beautiful.  He was saying for a fishing boat the coating would make cleanup a snap.  Bloody mess would disappear with a powerwash and most cleanups would essentially be a rinse off.  The stuff is silica based and seems to be the latest in automotive and marine detailing...  Was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.  Seems to be quite expensive to have done, but I guess I could buy a kit and try to do myself.  Course I have no experience with it so...

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?  If so, how do you like it?  How long has it lasted so far?  How is cleanup?  Do you have it on the deck?  If so, is it slick at all?  He mentioned a special cleaner and refresher to use on it... if it’s so tuff why do you need this?

Thanks for any feedback!

I have tried lots of waxes in my lifetime. They look great when applied but something about saltwater just seems to strip off what ever I put on! I would ask your guy if the boat he put it on is run in fresh water or salt? Maybe ask him to have the customer call you and he can tell you how long the coating will last before breaking down and needs to be re-applied?

My buddy is a marine detailer and ive helped him detail many times we ceramic coated a 39 yellowfin and it is expensive for sure not just the product but the labor because to ceramic coat a boat correctly it needs to be absolutely as clean as possible buffed and compounded that way you are coating a near perfect boat. personally i dont think it is as great as everyone says it is but it does make it easier to clean and it is hydrophobic so water runs right off instead of beading up.

The quote I got was just to do the exterior of the hull and the console and it was $400, $600 or $800 depending on whether I went with 2, 4 or 8 year durability.    At this point it seems that this stuff is new enough on the market that it is tbd whether it will last that long or not.    If anyone has long term experience with this stuff, I would be interested in hearing from them.  Thanks for the feedback!

24 minutes ago, Arthur said:

$400, $600 or $800 depending on whether I went with 2, 4 or 8 year durability. 

that's alot of wax....for that, you can get a professional buffer and break out your wax of choice.....

For a 22' Pathy...have them bring it back from the wet sand - not easy to do and lots of work..then just keep it up with some 3M or other professional grade WAX.....my 23year old MA17 came back perfectly after a light compounding and 3M finesse and then a nice coat of wax.....after I wax it....i just brush on a light coat of  the "Woody WAX" on the hull when I'm doing the deck...so far, so good.

DC

Is there anyone with 4 or especially 8 years of use with this stuff to see what to expect of it? 

I know everyone has their own favorite wax or whatever. I’ve tried a lot of different stuff over years and keep going back to Nu Finish. It’s a polymer something or another polish I think.  It’s more durable than even the big $ waxes like collonite and so easy to use. And I get it at dollar general for like $5 so can buy a lifetime supply for the amounts mentioned above. 

• 1 month later...

I ended up just having them do the wet sand and polish.  The boat looks awesome.  I defered on the ceramic coating - too expen$ive, and I couldn't find anyone with any real long term experience with it... that said, I actually got some experience with it too...  turns out that the previous owner had done it to the boat...  he hadn't corrected the gel coat first, but put ceramic over the faded gel coat...  took the detailer an extra day and a half to get that off on top of wet sanding the gel coat...  that reinforced one of my questions about it... what happens if you need to reapply.  Well it seems the answer is you have to wet sand off the old...  So, nufinish is sounding pretty good now... ;)

Archived