22XL compared to standard 22?

Gbonzo

Hello, 

I just sold my 18 redfisher and I am looking for a 22 PathfinderTE. I would like some perspective on the XL versus the regular 22 from those who have owned and run them. I understand the transom is higher on the XL and the running surface is extended to help with performance. I was told the XL can have issues with porpoising because of the transom design and that is essential to run a 250. There seem to be quite a few XL's on the market and I wondered if it was coincidence or if it is a flawed model. I want to make a good decision so feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you. 

I don’t have any experience with an XL but I have a TE and first thing I did was add the Rabuds for water intrusion. They worked like a champ. I personally love the extra hatch on floor for storing nets and buckets. But the best thing about the boat for us is the forward livewell for shrimp, etc. We use it more than the rear wells. After having those 2 things I’d have to catch a smoking deal on an XL to give those up

Pretty certain there is an XL TE. With the taller sides and 25" transom the XL floor is also higher, so less chance of the wet floor issue the standards have. I've not heard of a porpoise issue with XL's, and I would think based on the design of the transom that porpoising would not be an issue. The motor is forward of the aft portion of the transom, small type sponsons. I think that design would cut down porpoising.

I've had both the V and the XL model....never had any porpoising issues with either....but after I put the F250 on the V....anytime the boat was sitting still in the water....you got your feet wet. You will have to add rabuds or keep some plugs handy for the V model.

The XL model is made to accommodate the heavier big 4 strokes and there is no water intrusion at all with the XL. 

You probably have the newer style hull with recessed tabs.  The new hulls are designed for the heavier 4 stroke motors.  The older style hulls, like my 2200V, are the ones that can allow water to back through the scuppers onto the deck.   It is not a major problem, but can be solved either through plugging the scuppers when you have a heavy load, or through Rabuds. 

I have an XLTE.  I love it. I have a front livewell which i prefer to use over the aft wells due to ease to get to.  I also like the castnet locker in floor forward of the console.  The largest tradeoffs  between the classic 22 and the XL are ride related and power setup. The classic 22 doesnt take seas as well as the XL. However, i find that they plane at low speed more easily and its cool that they can get by with a 150 and they have a higher top speed.  I think the XL rides better in a rougher sea but it really needs a 250 on the back end.  However, the XL has a tendency to porpoise at low speed (can be controlled with tab, trim and jp height). 

On 2/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, mustang190 said:

I keep hearing about the water intrusion. I have never had the problem on my 22TE. I have backed down hard and in choppy water and if any water does come up from the scuppers it’s maybe a cup full. 

Me either on my 2003 regular hull.I actually bought raubuds for it cause of everything I’ve read but they are still in box cause I’ve never seen need to put them on. 

Archived