MA 21 Bimini top

Lap it Up

Hey guys,  I have been putting it off pretty well for years but it seems like the time has come to put a bimini on a flats boat.  With two little girls now, the wife wont let it go. 

Does anyone run one on a 21 MA?  Id like to know width, height etc.  Where does it lay on the deck?  Where are you guys attaching the mounting points and what brand of mounting hardware.  My first idea was to have one that laid down in the cockpit but after measuring it looks like it would be too small.  Any ideas or pics you may have are appreciated!

Thanks,

Lap

I have one for my 18ma. I think the 21 is a little bit wider so my dimensions probably wouldn't be the same for yours. However I used these flush mounts to install it to the top of the gunnels. On my boat I only have a hatch on the left side and it does make it a bit tough to get in it when the top is on but it is what it is, and I don't use it to often. 

http://shop.acconmarine.com/products/64-402-flush-mount.aspx

On 2/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, hurricane said:

I have one for my 18ma. I think the 21 is a little bit wider so my dimensions probably wouldn't be the same for yours. However I used these flush mounts to install it to the top of the gunnels. On my boat I only have a hatch on the left side and it does make it a bit tough to get in it when the top is on but it is what it is, and I don't use it to often. 

http://shop.acconmarine.com/products/64-402-flush-mount.aspx

Only WAY to go !!!...on my Pathy....I had several sets to allow me to "move the Bimini" from front to back....If you are out with the wife or significant other....you can move it all the way to the stern and keep the front deck open to fish and your non-fishing passenger can sit and enjoy the day in the shade while you are up on the bow doing your casting, etc...

The Accon's can be removed off and on in seconds...and there is "no" hitting the toes.....when walking the gunnels.

I had the longer quick release the 401's....the one in the pic is a newer one....I like it.

DC

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Only WAY to go !!!...on my Pathy....I had several sets to allow me to "move the Bimini" from front to back....If you are out with the wife or significant other....you can move it all the way to the stern and keep the front deck open to fish and your non-fishing passenger can sit and enjoy the day in the shade while you are up on the bow doing your casting, etc...

The Accon's can be removed off and on in seconds...and there is "no" hitting the toes.....when walking the gunnels.

I had the longer quick release the 401's....the one in the pic is a newer one....I like it.

DC

Definitely Looking into the Accons.  Thanks A lot all.   

Got an idea for you. buy some 3/4' pvc and fashion it to look like the aluminum bows on a Bimini top. Start with 70" tall and 90" wide. You only need two for this experiment. You also need the length dimension from someone (how far front to back it spans).  Attach string to the radius's of the pvc to help you keep the approx. length and angle of the bows. Then with help move the bows around the boat to different locations to simulate shading the console, bow and stern areas. Then try to find a location to store the top when not in use. Some can be stored in the upright position, leaning back at about 45 degrees. If you want it on the deck, find a place that won't obstruct hatches. You'll also have to determine a place to secure the top while trailering.

Then determine how to attach the top to the boat. Accon hardware has several different options. I personally don't like mounting inside the gunnel, cuts down on walking room. You'll need additional hardware if you want to move the top from bow to stern to accommodate passengers that want shade.

If you get a top too short in height, you won't be able to use your vertical rod storage. If it's too tall, then it has a tendency to sway side to side, but you can attach straps to the windshield grab bar to stop the swaying. You can also have zippered slots in the top for the rod tips to extend through. The PVC will help you plan before you buy. Also, a good canvas person should have lots of ideas about height, length, width and mounting locations.   

• 1 month later...

Archived