Removing gunnel rails on 2200v

Flatsdude3

take a little work and finess, but it can be done with a 4" side grinder and a cut off wheel. i'd make the first cut about 3/8" up and then make a vertical cut and pry it off. that's just me though and i work with these tools every day. if you try this, put some protection down for the grindings, they'll leave rust marks. i know it's SS, but the grinder blade has carbon in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any access at all? How many bolts hold the railing on and how long is the railing? If you have just one access point, my suggestion is to use a bore scope to locate the bolts, then fashion a long handle and attach it to a wrench. Cut the railing on both sides of the vertical part of the railing, then just hold the wrench and spin the railing. You'll still have to deal with some holes in the gunnel, but they will only be about 3/8".

Bore scopes are not expensive and you can buy just the camera and cord/cable, then plug the cord into your phone to see whatever the camera sees.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:03 AM, Flatsdude3 said:

I've thought about this and seems to be my only option without paying a shop to remove it and fix the holes. Don't really want 4 rod holders on each gunnel but there's no such thing as "too many rod holders" right? 

probably going to be a few $$$ to get it patched right....or pay for some rod-holders = quality ones are about $75-100 each...so you are looking at $400 plus or minus....you can get some cheaper ones on Amazon for about $60 or so...

dc

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:03 AM, Flatsdude3 said:

I've thought about this and seems to be my only option without paying a shop to remove it and fix the holes. Don't really want 4 rod holders on each gunnel but there's no such thing as "too many rod holders" right? 

just think of it as a baby kingfish style boat with a hundred gunnel rod holders. maybe try kite fishing the flats. start a new style of flats fishing, sorry for going off topic guys.

Archived