Boat with no title

East Coast Dave

I love to gigg flounder and I just can't bring myself to take the Maverick out to gig.  My thought process is I can buy a used jon boat for less than the fiberglass work bill for her first scratch.  So I have been trolling Craigslist and it seems like ever other boat proudly boast "no title" almost like a bad of honor.   my question is with a bill of sale is it really a pain or hassle to get a replacement title. I'm just looking for a a little 12 ft jon that I can rub bottom and not loose a lot of sleep but I don't want to buy something I can't title and register. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I just don't know how this would work and how to guarantee I'm not buying something I shouldn't be.  

Thanks. 

I have a little experience dealing with it with a Jon boat I bought from a now deceased uncle back in college.

There are ways to do it - find the last person titled to (better hope he’s not dead, I can tell you that)  try and register as home made, I believe even have it towed and have tow company apply for title and “sell” it to you.  All seem way too difficult for a Jon boat. Maybe an old classic hull worth restoring?  

My advice is to find a boat with a title and spend time using it rather than spending your time at DMV. 

3 hours ago, justfish said:

I have a little experience dealing with it with a Jon boat I bought from a now deceased uncle back in college.

There are ways to do it - find the last person titled to (better hope he’s not dead, I can tell you that)  try and register as home made, I believe even have it towed and have tow company apply for title and “sell” it to you.  All seem way too difficult for a Jon boat. Maybe an old classic hull worth restoring?  

My advice is to find a boat with a title and spend time using it rather than spending your time at DMV. 

I agree.  That was my thought all along but I was thinking maybe I was missing something. Thanks again.

I too have looked for Jon boats in the past and I have seen lots with "No Title".  The most common situation I found is most original purchasers never titled it.  The boat was either used on a private lake, with oars or with a trolling motor so they had no reason for "FL Numbers".  Jon boats trade hands a lot so knowing who the original owner is can be difficult.  I bought a 12x36 Alumacraft at a yard sale years back.  Guy that sold it to me was not the original owner but he did give me a bill of sale.  I took that bill of sale to my tag agency and since the boat had never been titled they used the bill of sale as proof of purchase and titled the boat in my name "HIN was run and came back clean of course".  To be honest though, it really isn't worth all the hassle. You can get a 12x36 brand new for a few hundred more than they sell used. 

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

His name is Andy Block and he just moved 4 doors down from me after his house in flagler flooded.He is a fishing buddy and good guy. His cell is 914-557-6083.

we are 95% back. Fished today for the first time in six months. It’s nice to be home.

Thanks for the number and great to hear things are getting back to normal. I fished in St Augustine on Wednesday and caught our limit of sheepshead pretty quickly. I'll honk next time I go by out back.

Archived