Black Uglies

Donh

A few days back I ask for fly recommendations for black drum since I was planning a trip to Titusville with my favorite guide Capt. Travis Tanner up that way. Since I didn’t get a response I tied up a couple to try. Black zonker with purple EP Brush for the collar with bead chain eyes, a little flash. Looks like the big uglies liked them, at least five did. All about the same size, cookie cutter around 15 pounds and pull like a plow horse. Used the 9 wt. initially, but believe it or not broke the rod on number 4. Switched to my 10 wt. which made it easier on the fish for a faster landing, and quite honestly easier on me.

dh

CC7EA2E4-1CD2-4B9B-97A3-3A4BA1001D4F.jpeg

20316C75-5736-4CE3-A5E3-0459A83FE6D4.jpeg

A1BFBB38-44BA-4E04-82DE-4F307F38FF3D.jpeg

Can’t wait for the red fish spawn latter in the year to target some of those flats donkeys, BIG red fish. They’re a little smarter than the smaller ones. Guess that how they get so big. I’ve been fishing with the same guide up there since 2001. He knows how to find them.

dh

On 2/18/2018 at 11:24 AM, Donh said:

Can’t wait for the red fish spawn latter in the year to target some of those flats donkeys, BIG red fish. They’re a little smarter than the smaller ones. Guess that how they get so big. I’ve been fishing with the same guide up there since 2001. He knows how to find them.

dh

Not to take anything away from the guides expertise on finding them, but creating the fly and making the casts needed as you do  to fool them is equally important. Again nice job!

Archived