What's YOUR small world Maverick story?

Funky Monkey

Small world stories,…we’ve ALL had’em,…instances in life, where there’s some connection made with someone, or something, in an unexpected place, situation, or time.  As we all get “less young”, these small world experiences seem to be ever more common, but most times, rather than being, yet, another depressing marker of the aging process, they seem to elicit more upbeat and optimistic feelings within us all.  Whether that feeling is the comfort of a new, or rekindled, friendship, one of simple nostalgia, a social bond through common experience, product, or even a misery-loves-company bond (like ex-old SAAB owners, of which, I’m one), or in my most recent case, an unlikely coincidence,…we welcome, rather, than dread them.  It’s one of the many fun, crazy, interesting parts about bein’ human!!!! 9_9

What prompted my post was my most recent small world experience that happened Friday before last at, of all places, the First Care, as familiarity bred disaster at about 4pm that day. Now, I’ve always been good with my hands, working on all manner of car, house, bicycle, and propeller projects, and always extremely careful, hence, my cycling team nickname of “Cautious”, which continued a trend begun in my youth, when, as my mom and dad tell it, I apparently walked my tricycle for a week before I rode it.  Measure thrice, cut but once, is my motto. Welllllll, as luck would have it, I was trying to get a piece of hardware off of a used prop for a customer using a 2 1/2lb metal hammer and a screwdriver (yeah, you see where this is goin’, don’tcha?), and although I was very careful in the beginning, it was gettin’ late on a Friday and I was, admittedly, gettin’ a bit impatient.  I had m’hand propped on the exhaust flare of the propeller, holding the screwdriver and was working from side-to-side around that 4-blader to gradually work the ring off, so I was repositioning the screwdriver, as I rotated the propeller. As you would expect, on that last, big, frustrated swing, the screwdriver slipped and the hammer found its mark, mashin’ the index knuckle of my left hand into that exhaust flare, layin’ my hand open to the bone.  DOH!!!!!!!  Do as I say, not as I do, as the old sayin’ goes, right?  Still gives me th’willies, when I think about it.:S  hehehehhehee  Anyway…

Fast forward to the First Care at 5:45, since bein’ a workaholic, ya gotta finish out the day, baby, THEN, go to the doctor!!!!  Just strap it up t’stop the bleedin’ and keep on chuggin’!!  hehehehe  As I waited in a room for quite some time, I began to wonder if I would see a doc, and just when I thought about leavin’, in she came (It had been a busy afternoon, I suppose, so I just had to be patient.)  Dr. Leah Williamson, was her name, and she was a delight,…very pleasant, great “beside” manner, and very gentle, as she poked, prodded, and stuck my hand with needles.  When she asked me how I did it, I told her it was a boat propeller and that we were a manufacturer of propellers, to which, she had the usual, Shreveporter, response,…”I didn’t know we had a propeller manufacturer in town.”  Ya see,…we’re the best kept secret in town, as almost NO one in Shreveport knows we exist, but we’re good with it, since it keeps the salesmen and the burglars at a minimum.  In fact, when giving directions to the locals on how to get here to get their props repaired, we’ll get’em half-way here in the directions, and they’ll go, “OH, you’re right next to Schicks”, which is a local pool hall and bar.  Hehehehehee  Which is, yet,  ANOTHER secret Shreveport spot, since Mr. Bill Schick is a WORLD FAMOUS CUSTOM POOL CUE MANUFACTURER!?!?!   Go figure!!?!?!?! 

But I digress…:P

As I tell her about the props, Doc Williamson, says, mid-stitch, “My dad has a boat.” o.O (You know where this is goin’, too, don’tcha!!??!?!¬¬) “Oh, really,” I wince, “How cool!!  What kind?”  “Well, he does this unusual kind of fishing you might not have heard about, I think they call it, flats.”O.o  Now, she has me completely distracted and the conversation went on.  “So what kind of boat,” I ask.  Without hesitation, she says, “He used to have a Silver,…Silver something.” To which, I reply, “Silver King?”  She then smiles and pops out with, “Yeah, that was it, but now, he has a Maverick!” xD  hahahahaha  I asked her if she knew which model and if it were about 17 feet, or so, and she said, “Yeah, that’s about the size. It’s REEEALLY cool, like a little sportscar!!  He’s got EVERYTHING on it!!!!”  I was guffawin’ at this point, ‘cause how in the world could this be!?!!?o.O   Anyway, I shared with her my history with the Maverick family, gave her my card, and asked her to have her dear ol’ dad give me a shout. 9_9 Beyond that, I offered to get her engineer-turned-ship-building-school-sister some contacts of mine in that field, since after the doc’s care and my small world experience in her hands, I thought offerin’ to help her family out was the least I could do.  Heck, even the nurse and I had a small worlder, as I spend my long distance weekend rides in and around her neighborhood in a little town, south of Shreveport.  Logansport and Spring Ridge, LA

The final small world aspect of this was that Doc Williamson was from Tampa, where we have some VERY good customers and friends, and where we go for the International Boatbuilders’ Exposition (IBEX). The reason I mention it is that the city of Tampa treated Steve and m’self to the single, finest dining experience of our lives at Bern’s Steakhouse.:x If you’ve never been there, you owe it to yourself. Now, it’s not about the food, although it was delicious, it’s about the entirety of the experience. When you go, enjoy every nuance of the architecture and the service, but be sure to take FULL advantage of EVERY OPPORTUNITY OFFERED, ESPECIALLY DESSERT, even if you have no room for it.:D I don’t want to spoil it by giving away too much, but suffice it to say that, in my estimation, this is “experiential dining” at its best.  And, yes, to add fuel to my small world story fire, Doc Williamson knows it well and enjoyed a few family celebrations at Bern’s, as well.^_^

So, there ya have it, m’MHPC friends, I hope I didn’t bore ya too much, but I thought it was a fun, small world Maverick story.:)

Now, my question for you is, what’s your small world MHPC story?  C’mon, I know y'all have one,…or two,…or maybe even more.  If you would, take a minute to share with us how your world got just that lil’ bit smaller thanks to your MHPC sistren’n’brethren.  I’m bettin’ this is gonna be a VERY interesting thread!!:):D

Signed,

Livin’ in an Ever-Smaller World in Propeller Paradise B|

I have bought 2 brand new 21 Master Anglers. Still have #2 and haven't been able to go to to Berns in years. The boats weren't cheap on either purchase but the PROPS  killed me so I eat at home.

That last OFX took my savings down to one less trip to the wine cellar at Berns. "and I don't drink wine"

I tried to show them my little prop hanging from my gold chain but no "Bueno"

To be truthful, it wasn't the boat or the props. It was me. I did merry my second wife on the bow of my 21 MA on the Anclote sand bar and if you can beat that story I will post the Pic. If not, dinner at Berns is on you.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAxDxDxD

I'd love t'see pics o' you two on the bow, takin' your vows, Troy!!!  That DOES sound like a tough one t'beat, m'friend!!!! :x

As for Bern's, the first time I realized it was going to be something special when I stepped in the door and saw the decor; the second time was when I saw the wine BOOK.  Not the wine LIST, mind you, the wine BOOOOOK!?!?!?!?  :o

Signed,

The Wino-Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo B|

I've had a few small world experiences with MHP but here is one that may connect us, Monkey.  Of course, you were able to help me prop my 2000v a few years ago which is good.  Didn't realize you were in Shreveport.  I have some great friends, distant relatives that lived in Shreveport.  Micki and Greg Taylor.  Greg was a big wig with a freight co around the Shreveport area so he may have shipped some items to you or from you.  If you don't know Greg, you may know his son, Trent Taylor.  He played at Evangel and then La Tech before being drafted by the 49ers this past season.  He was the smallest, slowest player ever drafted.  Kid has got crazy skills.  Anyway, that may be our connection if you know them.  If not, I'm only two away from Kevin Bacon. : )

Yet, ANOTHER small world story, Rubble!!!!!!!?!?!??:oxD  I don't know the Taylor's, but one o' my techs, Steven, has followed Trent's career, beginning at Tech!!!  As soon as I got half-way through reading that post, Steven popped up with, "Hey, that's Trent Taylor, he just got drafted by the 49ers!! He's a little guy, but man, can he play!!!!"  hehehehehe  That's awesome!!!!  Trent apparently reeeeally got Steven's attention!!!  As for Evangel, that place is a POWERHOUSE and has been puttin' out stand-out players for, quite literally, years.  Don't know what they feed'em over there, but daaaaauuuuum, baby, it sure works!?!?!?!?!?:D

Thank you for your oh-so-kind-words as to my wordsmithin' and thoughts for m'finger, Hurricane!!!!!!  The hand's lookin' good, I'm happy to report, and I'm headin' back to First Care after work to get the stitches removed.  I'm hopin' Doc Williamson's there, so I can see if she chatted with her dear, ol' Maverick-drivin' dad!!!!  :)  

Lovin' the stories, gang!!!!!

Signed,

The Degree-Separatin' Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo ;)B|

whenever Capt DonH and I are fishing together, whenever we are at the docks launching......other MHP owners always yell.....

Hey Capt Don....how you doing????....they know him from all the photos ...Theyy dont' know me, but they recognize him from all the photos I used to post of him when we would catch fish....notice i say, "used"....we've been on a dry spell for a while (LOL)......

DC

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

whenever Capt DonH and I are fishing together, whenever we are at the docks launching......other MHP owners always yell.....

That was me some years ago.  You were coming back in to head out after a day of fishing and I was there at Pleasure Island across from RnG ramp.  I noticed the words "Her Choice" (IIRC) on the side of a Banana Yellow Pathfinder and I yelled "Hey, There's Dino."  My bro-in-law said who the H is Dino and how do you know someone down here?

It would be easier to do this by dates....

1974- This young man named Bobby would carry engines through the neighborhood with boats, he made a trailer that attached to his bike! Then the young man named Bobby gets a drivers license.  He applies at Bob Hewes Boats as a boat washer/detailer for the new Hewes coming out of Regal fiberglass in Homestead and headed to dealers, he gets the job!

1989 - MBC buy's the Hewes line of boats, Bob Hewes is officially retiring. young Bobby, now older is now the service manager for Bob Hewes boats and not a boat left without his hands on it. He was now a factory master mechanic for OMC. Older Bobby decides that when MBC closes shop in Miami/Homestead he will become self employed, after all he has the a lot of local clients. However there is one more special boat rolling out of Regal Fiberglass, a boat for a gentleman by the name of Al Pflueger. This boat incorporates all of the new technology that MBC was using at the time, including Kledgecell and older Bobby's last job was rigging this boat for a gentlemen he new very well. Scott Deal, owner of MBC builds this boat specifically for Al Phlueger. MBC moves the Hewes line up the turnpike and the rest is history.

1989 -  a young Coastguardsman by the name of Muddybottombluz attends a wedding for his nephew in Miami. As the best man he dances with the bridesmaid who was married at the time. Yes, she was HOT and smelled so good! 

1991- Contract ends with the Coast Guard and a young Muddybottombluz returns to Miami. riding his dirtbike at hidden lake he spots said bridesmaid and she is no longer married but has a boyfriend.

1994 -  On another chance encounter Muddybottombluz meets the bridesmaid once again. No boyfriend, good to go! 

1997 - Muddybottombluz made the bridesmaid his bride and becomes related to Bobby, now his brother in law. Knowing his history with Bob Hewes and at this time he is now a factory master mechanic for now Evinrude/Johnson and we obviously get along great.

2000 - Muddybottombluz becomes a state licensed A/C contractor and being a new business when things were slow I would help out Bobby. I go to the shop and there is a bikini blue Hewes Redfisher that was sunk at the Key Biscayne Yacht club, rich lawyers daughter used the boat and left nav lights on, South Florida rainstorm comes, boat is not self bailing, batteries dead and it goes belly up in it's slip. Rich lawyer asks at the marina who can help him, who else BOBBY! At his shop Bobby is looking bewildered at the boat and says I think this is Al Pflugers boat? I ask who is Al and why is that important? He explains who Al is and says the boat is not the same color, Al's was brown & tan but look here and you can see the original gelcoat was brown and the interior front hatch was tan. Anyways we install the new motor get it back to the owner and ask him who he bought the boat from? He says; I forget his name but he was some big time fishing guy.

2005 - Go to see BIL as my 17 Mako's Johnson blew up and we were rebuilding a 110 for it that we pick up out of Bob Hewes Boats graveyard and low and behold there was the bikini blue Hewes Redfisher again. You will never guess what happened!?! Yep, upside down again at the dock and the insurance company tells him no more motors after this one so big rich lawyer has a decision to make, replace motor or take insurance money and sell the hull. Big rich lawyer decides to sell the hull and guess who buy's it, yep, Muddybottombluz! We take the brand new rebuilt 110 and drop it on the Redfisher and away I go.

2007'ish -  Brother & sister in law and myself are sitting down having breakfast one Sunday morning and my SIL looks over and say's " there's Al" ! Holycrap, now we can ask him if my boat was his old boat that Scott Deal, Mr. MBC, made for him. We call Al over and he sits down with us and we start talking and sure enough he remembers the boat and selling it some rich guy on Key Biscayne who got tired of hiring guides to fly fish for bonefish. We chuckle and say, well Al, I now own the boat and he looks surprised and looks at my BIL how did you find it, he replies it found me! 

I asked Mr. MBC himself on the forum about this and he remembered the boat and even posted a picture of himself or Al (I forget) on the very boat fighting a Tarpon. After all this I told my BIL who was still very good friends with Mr. Bob Hewes and would visit him often and obviously Al that I should have them sign the boat. I would of asked Scott but that woulda seemed a little weird. Unfortunately Bob passed away and Al suffered a serious medical condition.

Whew! That was tiring. I am proud to say that I am still married to the bridesmaid, shoot, I aint gonna leave her, do you know who her brother in law is!:D For those did not know Al, scroll down to the next post!

Great stories, boys!!!!  Dino, you'll need to post a more recent pic o' yourself, so I can see ya comin' to the booth one day. I think the last time I saw you was Lauderdale, or some such, right, or was it Miami? To be honest, I've done so many shows, it's hard to keep track of'em all.  The one thing I DO know is that it wasn't METS in Amsterdam!! I'da remembered THAT!!!  hehehhe:$xD

Muddy, I LOVED the timeline and sounds like the makings of a GREAT coffee table book. I was glued to it, as I read through,...and how friggin' cool is that old movie!?!?!?!  What a find and great history, indeed, m'friend!!!! Thank you for sharin' SEVERAL small world stories in one!!!!  :D

Keep'em comin', gang!!!!   I know ya got'em!!!

Signed,

The Occasionally Nostalgic Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo B|

Archived