2200V with 150SHO

captart

My friend in my hood recently had trouble with her older 2200 outboard and didn't want to rebuild so she repowered with the SHO 175 and is very pleased. Hopefully he won't mind, but PM linesider159 on this forum, He may be able to help with finding you what you are looking for. Sometimes he has insider information.

Now the 175 is still and I4 block not the V-6 like the 200.

i bought the IF 200 and at first was less than pleased. since then and after several prop changes, i love it. i'm getting 49 mph at 5300 rpm, light and windless. almost exactly what i got with a 200 hpdi on the same boat. 2 of my friends have the same engine. one has the same boat and runs a less pitch prop than me. he gets 47 mph at 5800. i fished in it with him yesterday. the other has a 21 triton tunnel, so anything he gets is not comparable to ours(2200v pathfinder). the engine sounds and feels solid. has a really good, deep 4 stroke sound and is much more frugal on fuel. i've got 490 hrs on mine now with only a bad throttle body at 60 hrs. warranty picked it up.

I re-powered a 2003 22V from a 200HPDI to a 200 VMAX SHO and am happy with my setup. My boat has Tee top and I and my fishing partner are big boys so a smaller motor would not do. Hole shot is great with a PT OFX 17" 4 blade . Top speed is fine for me at approximately 48MPH. Another option vs a Merc might be an E-Tec if the V6 Yami big block is not available. History would suggest a E-tec vs a Merc for me, 

55 minutes ago, Mike45q said:

I re-powered a 2003 22V from a 200HPDI to a 200 VMAX SHO and am happy with my setup. My boat has Tee top and I and my fishing partner are big boys so a smaller motor would not do. Hole shot is great with a PT OFX 17" 4 blade . Top speed is fine for me at approximately 48MPH. Another option vs a Merc might be an E-Tec if the V6 Yami big block is not available. History would suggest a E-tec vs a Merc for me, 

Why eTc over Mercury?  They are kind of apple and oranges with E2 being 2 stroke and most of the Mercury line today being 4 stroke.

Again just a bias based on my history and perception of Mercury.  My last Yamaha lasted 12 years and 1000 hours plus 2 stroke HPDI and assumed a 2 stroke E-Tec would give you the same life. Not sure you could expect that with a Mercury but again that is my personal bias. Good luck in your search.

3 hours ago, Mike45q said:

That is an impressive display of torque from the Evinrude, no doubt!  It would've been good to invite Mercury to the party as well.  It also would've been good to prop each motor, for the single engine comparison test, to reach its maximum recommended RPM while pushing such a heavy load.  Nevertheless, the Evinrude E-TEC G2 150 H.O. is a beast, and deserves a lot of credit here!

Link to BoatTEST.com video

It looks like you may have hard time finding the 175 SHO as well. Been pondering it and my shop says there don't appear to be any available. He said only one shop in SE had anything above 150 and could be next year on the big boys like 300's. Economy is strong and they sold everything they had was his explanation. Following and interested to see what you come up with. 

On 2/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, captart said:

Looking to repower my boat and having a hard time finding 200hp 4strokes.  Has anyone repowered with the 150SHO?  Thanks.

I re-powered my 2000v with the 150sho.  I had the F150 before... top end speed is roughly the same. maaaybe 1or2 mph faster.  The motor definitely has a little more get up in it though. 

On 2/15/2018 at 12:57 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Do some research...a while back the F200 had many problems.

dc

Links?

I repowered my 22te with a f200 i4. I had a 200 hpdi and while it’s slower to jump on plane my top speed is upper 40’s loaded but cruise nicely around 35mph. I have been very impressed with the fuel economy compared to my hpdi. Mid range tourque is decent. I have several friends with 22 Pathfinders/f200i4’s that guide with them and have well over 1000hrs with zero issues so I’m wondering what the “known” issues are??

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Mike45q said:

Again just a bias based on my history and perception of Mercury.  My last Yamaha lasted 12 years and 1000 hours plus 2 stroke HPDI and assumed a 2 stroke E-Tec would give you the same life. Not sure you could expect that with a Mercury but again that is my personal bias. Good luck in your search.

Here's a strange one. Was going to repower my 115 Yamaha to a 150. Checked in with a local Yamaha dealer who told me the Yamaha was a 10 year motor at best and then it develops pin holes in the cooling jackets.

19 hours ago, mdemott said:

Here's a strange one. Was going to repower my 115 Yamaha to a 150. Checked in with a local Yamaha dealer who told me the Yamaha was a 10 year motor at best and then it develops pin holes in the cooling jackets.

You need to find a new dealer that's more truthful.  While no motor is perfect, the Yamaha F150 is a great motor with a long history of reliability.

Archived