2011 HPX 18 refresh and questions

Stx4wheeler

All,

So about 6 months ago I picked up an 2011 HPX -18.  I did some minor repairs with the trolling motor setup and fished it through the end of last year.  I am now wanting to start doing a few more modifications and changes now that I have a good feel of what I want out of the skiff.  I would really appreciate some help/opinions on some of the items below.  I tried the search function for a couple of these and didn't get much help.  I fly fish out of the skiff 90 percent of the time with a little nearshore trolling mixed in.

Specs 2011 HPX-18, 115 yami, power pole, gps, 24 volts trolling motor with batteries up front and the trolling motor on the very nose of the skiff.

Question 1 - Where is the best place to get new hatch gaskets and the shock for the front hatch?  The front hatch is missing the gasket and the shock, and I would like to replace the gaskets and install a shock as well as replace the gaskets on the rear hatches to make them drier.

Question 2 - My skiff currently has two starting batteries.  One of the batteries is bad.  Is there any reason to have two batteries besides having a backup?  Most other skiffs I have been on and run just run one starting battery for the same amount of electronics and gear.  I would really like to save the 40lbs and get some more storage.  Current starting battery is a group 27 Interstate.

Question 3 - Adding a  removable backrest.  Birdsall marine makes a very similar to the factory maverick backrest that can be added to the newer hpx-v's, but I was told by someone at a maverick dealership that you shouldn't install this on an earlier model because the deck wasn't strong enough.  They also were wanting to sell a new skiff as well so I am not sure where their motives lie.

Question 4 - I am going to be adding a casting platform with removable lean bar.  It will spend most of the time on the front hatch.  With that mounted on the hatch does the hatch piston struggle with that extra weight on there?  

Question 5 - Adding a front step to the platform how are you all doing this?  I have seen some mount a cooler or small casting style platform, and on my last skiff I had a fold up step welded onto the platform.  I will also be adding a lean bar to the poling platform.  If someone could post a picture of how the tubes under the platform are welded/attached on yours I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much for the help!

IMG_2885.JPG

My .02cents.....

1- You should be able to buy the gasket material & shocks thru Boat Owner's warehouse. 

2- Can't see any reason to have two starting batteries if you have two trolling motor batteries. One house battery should be enough. 

3- I have the short (31"?) Birdsall backrest on my 2011 model. Perfect for two people IMO. Deck seems plenty strong. Search my past posts for pics of my boat.

4- You may want to consider installing a stiff spring versus using a shock for that hatch. I changed my forward hatch shock to a spring after several failures.  

5- Seek The Outlaw on this forum. He is a metal craftsman that can build anything and will give you plenty of ideas I'm sure. 

Good luck! 

33 minutes ago, conocean said:

Can't see any reason to have two starting batteries if you have two trolling motor batteries. One house battery should be enough. 

Ditto...with a one/2/all switch to the TM battery...it should be fine

33 minutes ago, conocean said:

You may want to consider installing a stiff spring versus using a shock for that hatch. I changed my forward hatch shock to a spring after several failures.  

Ditto...you can get them at BOW

34 minutes ago, conocean said:

Seek The Outlaw on this forum. He is a metal craftsman that can build anything and will give you plenty of ideas I'm sure. 

He is DA Man....!!!!

dc

I bought shocks for my Pathfinder through a dealer directly from MBG.  They were cheaper from MBG than through other vendors!  You can call Ray in parts at MBG to check.  As far as extra weight on the front hatch, you can custom order gas shocks from Ameritool with higher compression to handle heavier hatches/loads. 

Any idea what length and strength of spring you guys went with instead of the gas shock or a part number?

I will call maverick and talk to them about the shock as well.

I will be doing the bending/fitting of the Aluminum myself and having a friend weld it up.

Another question I forgot about that I think it weird is that even with my brass ball valve for my livewell shut I still end up with about an inch or so of water in my livewell when the boat is in the water.  When I take the boat out it drains out?  This one kind of has me stumped?  Valve not sealing all the way?  I would really like to use this as trash and additional storage since I don't baitfish.

I will try to remember to measure the spring in my fwd hatch then post. 

Your well should be nearly dry if your standpipe is pushed flush into the drain hole & valve is closed. My valve controls the sea water that I either pump into my well or that flows in when running. Water rises into my well from drain hole when standpipe isn’t in place regardless if valve is open or closed. Hope this helps. 

Archived