Where do I get started ?

East Coast Dave

I had a buddy of mine give me a new g-Loomis  Nativerun 9' 9wt Quinault 4 pic rod and  a Orvis Hydros Lg Arbor Reel V a few years back.  I had every intention of learning how to fly fish and being that guy on Silver Kings.... Well life gets in the way and when I had time to go, I went with the spinning reel. Well I have decided I finally want to commit the time and learn how to fish with a fly rod.

I assume the first place to start would be casting lessons?  Do you know of any good fly clubs near Ormond Beach?  I have pretty dirty water where I fish and it usually redfish, snook, trout and the occasional tarpon if that helps with any advice. I travel to Jacksonville and Orlando for work a lot so I could always utilize clubs etc to help learn more about the sport, casting mechanics and just general information.

I assume after a while it makes sense to learn how to tie flies myself and all that good stuff but at this point I just trying to figure out any shortcuts or anything I could do to shorten the learning curve. 

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

... Nothing beats having a pro teach you from the start.

lessons are about $50-60 / hr

worth every penny

This is the way to do it, without a doubt. DO NOT WATCH "A River Runs Through It". Brad Pitt has no idea what he's doing. Nothing will trip you up like thinking of your casting stroke as a clock i.e.-10 o'clock - 2 o'clock. 

On 3/5/2018 at 8:35 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

check with bass pro shops in your area...they have beginner's classes....as well, nothing beats having a pro teach you from the start.

lessons are about $50-60 / hr

worth every penny

x3.  My guide and mentor back in the '80s was the late Capt. Ralph Delph, who was a good friend and guide of Stu Apte.  Ralph was the greatest fly caster I've ever seen, and the world records he caught or guided speak for themselves.  When he first started teaching me how to work a fly line in the waters around Key West, I was clueless.  About the time I started getting the hang of it, he started guiding on the rivers in Montana, during the Summer, and invited me for some guided trips for trophy trout on the Big Horn, Yellowstone, Madison, and Gallatin Rivers.  Before I made the first 3-week trip to Montana, Ralph said fly fishing the rivers for trout on this trip will really improve your fly casting skills in a big way.  He was so right!  Capt. Ralph Delph guided me to win the Fly Master Trophy in the South Florida Met Tournament that next year.  I am blessed to have known him.  So, like Dino said earlier, fly casting lessons with a professional instructor are worth every penny!

Archived