95 LT20 bottome shell

BaitTank

If your's was built anything like mine,

your deck isn't coming off short of chopping the deck to pieces.

My deck was fused together with resin and gl*** at every point possible.

If you were to cut out the lower portion of the deck you would see 2 stringers and a fore and aft bulkhead.

There is also a thin sheet of gl*** panel gl***ed in under the fuel tank for support.

was hanging upside down in my anchor well looking way back to see where it all drained to. was strange to not see it go to the v of the hull and to the stern. its flat under there and seems to be a hole on the starboard side with a large hose also dropping into it. I ***ume it goes directly to the center of the hull and heads out under the gas tank. I pulled my deck up a few weeks ago and did notice the plate of gl*** under the tank and above the v hull. was wondering about that. too

Everything drains down the middle of the v portion of the hull.

There is reinforced flex tubing that goes under the bulkheads for continuous draining out the bilge area.

Here is a shot of the interior portion where the tank rest.

What I found when I cracked open the LT.

OOZE2.jpg

yeah, thats what i saw when I pulled the deck plate under the console. I had expected to see the v bottom of the hull. Nope...LOL

Any chance you have a photo from the bow to right about under the two left and right hatches. thats the area I cant see or get to. I may just cut a hole in the side of the big storage hatch to look around. I picked up a bunch of Circle deck plates for a buck a piece, so anywhere I cut, i can put one back and have open access there anytime.

where that black hose on the right is coming out of is what I was hoping to get a photo of. :-)

Somehow, only when it rains, I am getting water in the cavity from stringer right (starboard side only) to the hull. I pools up and gets back to the stern under the starboard battery box hatch. I drilled a 4 inch hole under the battery compartment floor to investigate. its all foam under there. I pulled out a section of the foam and water slowly drains into the open section I cut. Seems to be coming from direction of the bow.

The only place water gets in unrestricted is the anchor hatch. I'm thinking somehow its not getting to the center drain and gettting hung up starboard side of the starboard stringer.

not sure if you did a top off, so you might not have photos of that area.

BT,

from what you just explained I can only ***ume 2 things are contributing to your problem.

1) your fore bulkhead drain is blocked due to trash or whatever,

and

2) your starboard stringer is starting to delaminate from the hull,

wherefore allowing water to get within the outer cavity of the stringer.

when I got the boat in the spring, I pulled a 20ft length of 1/2 inch bow line out from under the decking in the area of the front drain. It came out with debri and barnacles and dirt. I suspect, the front drain could be partially blocked still, only causing my problem when we get a heavy rain. I'm also parking the trailer on a hill which may be adding to the problem....

On the delamination theory...

If you were to think of the right stringer as a 2x4 going the length of the hull and glued it to the hull. Water is being trapped on the right high side of the 2x4. If there was delamination, wouldnt water be getting under the 2x4? The under the 2x4 cenario is not the case. If I drilled a hole at the base of the 2x4 horizontally, it would relieve the build up and send the water to the bilge. I'm just trying to stop the water from getting there in the first place before I drill any holes.

Not sure if I explained the situation better?

Baittank,

Put your garboard drain plug in and remove the positive battery lead from your starting battery. Fill the hull, on the trailer, of course, with about 4-6 inches of water and make note where it leaks out. Likely spots are lower engine mounts, trim tab screws, and the lower poling platform lags. I would remove all the below water line and any loose screws and fill the holes with a marine epoxy and chopped fibergl*** mixed togeter. Let it cure and drill new pilot holes. Add some 5200 or 4300 to the screws and holes and remount. I keep my boat on a trailer and 4300 is much easier to deal with if you have to remove something and it will do the job as long as the hull doesn't live in the water.

When I got my Maverick it had been bottom painted and when I was redoing the hull, I found that several of the trim tab screws leaked and the lower PP lag bolts. The cheese grater also had a couple loose screws that leaked. Also, check your intakes for the live wells all the way to and including the pumps themselves for leaks. There are a lot of places you can get small leaks and they can add up to a lot of water. If you bilge runs too often it could drain the battery and well it ain't pretty!

Once you get all the exterior intrusions fixed then you can check the bait wells. If you bait fish, the tops of the baitwells can splash water under the cap and into the bilge. These can be sealed with the same sealant. Good luck!

thanks old salt. BUT.....this water issue stems from rainwater only.

I took care of all the items you mentioned this summer and water does not come in when she is floating. This is a topside problem.

thanks again for chiming in with ideas. I love this web site. Very knowledgeable folks and no bickering. Luv it.

Junk thrown down in the anchor locker can get into those drains.

Get a long coathanger or one of those cable grab thingys and go fishing down there.

Be careful yanking stuff.

I found rope, bottles,plastic etc in mine.

Water hose and fishing wire can get it clean.

I also found a full beer down there too!!

Yup, that photo of the starboard side is exactly the photo I was looking for. (PERFECT- THANKYOU) Have no idea how you got it and at that angle...sweeeeet!!!!

That channel at the base of the starboard side stringer is where I am getting water

Now how the heck is it getting there. I would think it should not be able to get there from the bow......ponder......???

Well, if you drank your beer instaed of trying to hide it in the anchor locker you wouldn't have this issue. :laugh:

On the serious side,

neither the starboard or port side is blocked.

What your seeing on the port side is the fuel tank fill hose.

The outside of the stringers originally had foam shot into the cavity from the fore bulkhead, or right up to it, all the way back through out the rest of the hull.

(on the outside of the stringers, around the wells and through out the side walls.)

If your still having water issues then apparently there's another beer struck down there or a bottle cap or 2.

And you may have already tried this but I had some debris and used a couple sections of a fibergl*** wire fish rod in mine while flushing lots of fresh water and solved the problem. Not a fishing rod but a rod electricians use to fish wire through walls with. Worked perfect. Pretty reasonable at HD and handy tool for boat projects anyway.

Archived