Trolling Motor foot pedal to IPilot/GPS? Hard to learn?

DavisIslander

My last trolling motor was on my bass boat and it was a foot pedal Minn Kota.  When (not if) I purchase my Hewes or Maverick I'm going to continue bass fishing, best of both worlds kind of boat.

Here's my question.  I've done some research but can't find much on how hard will it be to transition from foot pedal to the IPilot or GPS models in salt and then using those same systems back in fresh? 

Thanks

I have the xi5 gps motor guide and it’s very easy to use, it was a brief learning curve. Has a hand held control with a lanyard. When I get a fish on I just hit the anchor mode , the boat stays in that spot within  couple of feet,

Some people catch on quick, and others not so much.  You should try to get a "wet test" with a buddy, or just hang out at a ramp and ask for a test drive.

I have buddies in our bass club that can't run an electronic control to save their lives.  Once I made the switch, I never looked back.

The auto-pilot and electronic anchor features are game changers.  Like having a first mate.  Once you use them you might be ready to upgrade your freshwater foot control motor.

You can get the best of both with the Ultrex, but they are currently only designed for freshwater.

1 hour ago, DavisIslander said:

Thanks Linesider, I heard you can't go backwards with the Ipilot?  Is that true or is someone just pulling my leg?

You can go backwards.  Just spin the motor 180 degrees.  But no, there is no "reverse" on the remote controlled models. 

37 minutes ago, Limitless said:

Like Linesider said you can get a foot control for your MinnKota.  Find it hard to control my Hewes with the fob when fishing, so I changed to the foot switch and it works much better for fishing a Mangrove shoreline or a point for bass.

So you use a foot control in salt?  No issues?  I would rather use foot controls everywhere.

I use the foot control Everywhere.  Use it in Venice, LA and Choko.  In Venice I had a few screw ups because I had somehow tapped the mode button on the pedal so when I hit the next button to move the boat and the TM began to stow.  I was in swift water and had to rush to the helm, crank up the big motor and get myself out of the rip-rap/jetty rocks before contact.  I love the foot control.  It takes a bit to get used to but no more than learning the keys/buttons on the remote without looking.  I love being able to keep my hands on the rod/reel instead of fumbling with a remote and trying to turn the motor a different direction.  I've had no issues with the foot pedal.  Works great.  I think it is a must.  Especially if you lose remote function for whatever reason.  

Archived