2000v Trolling Motor?

Seacraft06

I am looking at replacing my old trolling motor on my 2005 2000v. I am looking at minnkota Terrova vs power drive with ipilot. I am wondering if I will have an issue with the power drive as it’s only available with a 54” shaft and 70lbs. While the Terrova is 60” and 80lbs. 

My tolling Motor now has the Terrova specs but I honestly never use it so I don’t know if the power drive specs would be to dismal? 

Also, should I consider the motorguide xi5 also? 

This probably will not directly answer your question but I'm going to give my opinion and recommendation.  I needed to replace a 24v MK Tiller about 14 months ago.  I spend almost a year trying to decide what to do.  I didn't use my boat much so I thought I should purchase the most economical.  Then I got to thinking since I don't get to fish much, I may be better served making an investment to help make the time I do fish more productive and enjoyable.  I took a gamble on the Riptide iPilot Ulterra 36V with 60" shaft.  I like having the extra length on the TM for turbulent water.  Even if the water isn't rolling or bouncing me up and down, it may be super swift and the deeper I can get the TM down in the water the less chance of the prop blowing out when it ramps up to move direction while in spot lock.  I have a buddy that just purchased a bay boat and wants to go 54" so he can switch the TM between his bay boat and his passer but I think that may be an issue on his boat as the  gunnel sits up much higher in the water than most. 

Anyway, I haven't looked back with the36v,  60" on my 2000v.  I Love that setup even though it probably cost me twice what i wanted, or could have paid if I just replaced with the same type tiller setup.  What I'm able to do with less effort is priceless.   

How much thrust and how long is the shaft is based on your individual usage.  If you use the trolling motor in mainly calm conditions a 70 lbs thrust will work fine.  If you have to buck some current, tide or wind, you will be happier with a 80 lbs thrust.

A 54" shaft will work fine unless you are offshore a lot or using the trolling motor in lumpy conditions, then you will be happier with a 60" shaft.

Ill 2nd bamas comment on shaft  length.  As to voltage if you are going to be anchoring in heavy current for extended periods go 36v.  As to brand none are perfect, I went with xi5 cause I personally know several who have had MK's have had the electronics crap out and ruin trips on several occasions, and once a friend had one turn on by itself full blast and nearly knocked an elderly client to the floor of the boat... these were the "new" upgraded model that was supposed to have those issues corrected. 

Xi5's are prone to get corrosion in the elec connections as they didnt think that out to well but I put mine thru the ringer offshore taking waves over the bow and washing right over it and have yet to have failure to operate.... this is over about 3 years of running one.   A little PM greasing connections is warranted and periodic checks to ensure they are healthy as well.  The main issue motorguide has had for years is the powder coat bubbling up from corrosion on the metal underneath on the motor and transmission.  Frankly im ticked about that and have had more than one "when are you going to solve this issue" phone call with them.  I had the same issue with previous hand controlled SW models over the years as well.   I fish so much and depend on it so much I got another so if one needs repair Ive got the other to use.

I run a new  36 volt (112 lb thrust I think) Terrova with a 60” shaft.   The updated spot lock, jog features, responsiveness etc is fantastic.  

Personally I’d never recommend less power/length than that on the 2000v unless you have a super specific reason like you literally always fish in super shallow water with no waves and a taller shaft would only get in the way.  It’s always better to have more power and reserve battery power even if you don’t always need it consistently.  Also your batteries long term life will last longer if they aren’t drawn down deep consistently.  

Archived