Hey guys,

I'm heading to Choko March 1-3. The water temps are rapidly rising down here with air temps in the mid 80's and  the forecast is for the mid 80's for the next 10+ days. Currently, the water temp is 70, but I'm guessing if there's no more significant cold fronts that make it down here the water temps will probably in the mid 70's+ by March. 

I've only fished here in the middle of winter and have always targeted mainly winter snook. Can anyone give some general advice on tarpon? I'm assuming they will be moving in and out of the outside mouths and may be laid up in some of the outer bays? I think snook and will be pretty easy to target as they should moving on the outside looking for whitebait. 

Appreciate any comments. 

Also, check this out. "George" a 10' Great White tagged shark was located in the Everglades. Check out this article. Guess  I need to bring the Goliath rigs and very large buoy's!!! 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/07/great-white-shark-named-george-tracked-gulf-mexico-near-everglades/318342002/ 

Image result for we are going to need a bigger boat

I posted that earlier.....

Tarpon should be moving around just off the beaches in March if we don't get another good cold snap (under 50*) by March 1st. The guides will be all over the place looking for them as usual. They're definitely in the backcountry because I spooked some giants while running near Rogers Bay a few weeks ago. I will probably be at my place in Choko March 1-5 so maybe I'll see you down there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, conocean said:

I posted that earlier.....

Tarpon should be moving around just off the beaches in March if we don't get another good cold snap (under 50*) by March 1st. The guides will be all over the place looking for them as usual. They're definitely in the backcountry because I spooked some giants while running near Rogers Bay a few weeks ago. I will probably be at my place in Choko March 1-5 so maybe I'll see you down there. 

I know. I posted that and then saw yours later that day. 

Thanks for the info. We are going to start on the outside and work are way in from there this time. We are staying at Parkway. Thanks for the input. 

My boat is all ice blue & I'll probably be the only skiffs you'll see over there without a huge GPS on the console. Holler if you see us! 

On 2/9/2018 at 9:04 AM, conocean said:

My boat is all ice blue & I'll probably be the only skiffs you'll see over there without a huge GPS on the console. Holler if you see us! 

That's funny. I definitely will holler at you if I see ya. When you know what you know you don't need the fancy stuff! I've got a guide who live in EC and the Keys so I'm going to reach out to him next week right before I leave and see what the local guides are saying. I'll keep you posted, but sounds like you don't need any help if you have a place down there. 

On 2/9/2018 at 9:04 AM, conocean said:

What Paul has forgot about the 10K's....most of us will never learn.....for sure he knows every bight, tide, river entrance, etc....

he's taught me alot....

DC

• Like 1

You're too kind, Dino.

I've learned a lot the hard way in the ENP & I've had many good teachers along the way. Definitely cannot take much credit for doing anything great other than listening & remembering. 

Running aground. Getting stuck while poling on an outgoing tide. Being forced to spend the night on my boat. Those are the things I will never forget! And there's more to come, I'm sure. 

The legendary Captain that I work for has told me this many times......."if you haven't hit something, gotten lost or run aground then you haven't gone very far." I've done all 3!!! xD 

• Like 1

This is why I love this forum. You guys are the real deal. Old school honesty and integrity is what it's all about. Have fun, leave it better than you found it and fish hard! Thanks again.