Best Prop foe a Yamaha 115 FS

Fishician

1 hour ago, Fishician said:

I am re powering my 2015 Redfisher-16 with a Yamaha 115 FS. What would be the best prop to outfit it with? I prefer a SS prop.

It depends on what's most important to you, and how you fish.  If you need load carrying capability (two people, gear, full tank of fuel, full live well, trolling motor, 3 batteries, power pole, etc.), get a Mercury SpitFire X7 4-blade in 17 pitch.  SpitFire X7 hole-shot, and grip in turns, and grip when running with high motor height are outstanding.
If you will be running with a somewhat lighter load, and top speed with higher fuel economy is your goal, get a Yamaha Talon SS 3-blade in 19 pitch.  52 MPH @ WOT and 7.4 MPG at a 3800 RPM cruise, stock - out of the box.

46 minutes ago, geeviam said:

If you are adventurous and want to test a new model prop, this one sounds like it might be the best all around prop option for our setup.  I have not tried it yet and I'm not sure it's available yet, unless you know someone high-up at Yamaha:  Yamaha Talon SS4 4-blade w/SDS in 18 pitch

Who is going to be first?!  I am sure you or Lurem already have your name in to get one, that is if you guys did not break in to Yamaha HQ already for the heist!:D

6 minutes ago, mulligan said:

Who is going to be first?!  I am sure you or Lurem already have your name in to get one, that is if you guys did not break in to Yamaha HQ already for the heist!:D

LOL!  We haven't figured out whether we should land on the roof by helicopter or tunnel in through the basement!  The deal is whoever gets it first (Lurem or me), loans it to the other for testing!  :ph34r:

My ears are burning!!

Believe it or not, right now I am running a re-hubbed Evinrude Rogue 4 blade with some pretty good results.

I am thinking if we try from both the roof and tunneling from underground at the same time  one of us would get through!! Haha

10 hours ago, geeviam said:

Here's a good report on the Yamaha Talon SS4, on a different thread: http://mbgforum.com/topic/6331-2013-18-hpx-v-f115-prop-spitfire-19p-or-21p/?do=findComment&comment=53830

I am not sure if he could turn a 18 Talon SS4 on his 16 redfisher. Seems like the SS4 wheel design has people turning less ( harder to turn )RPM and need less pitch to reach there RPM window of opportunity than  lets say a SS talon three blade  .A Capt. With a 18 HPX 115 HP is turning  his 18 Talon SS4 approximately 6100-6300 depending on the load in the boat . The information that I have heard and read the guys running the 16 redfisher with equal power are usually running 2-3 inches less pitch than the 18 HPX running equal HP to reach the same RPM

.  Joe R 

My monkey ears were burnin', Dino!!!!?!!?!?!  :P  It's great t'be baaaack, girls'n'boys!!!!!  Sorry I've been tied-up, but Propeller Paradise has been a handful'n'a-half over the last few years, gang!!!  Havin' more business than we can say, "Grace", over three times is a good problem to have, but it's still a problem!  :S

On the 16 Red, from 2001, or thereabouts, -on, we've used the SCD4 with excellent results. It delivers quick, flat holeshot, a flat running attitude for site fishing and bow control, and still offers a decent turn o' speed, especially for a 4-blade. 

To his credit, Dino was the first one on the SCD4 on the 18 Red, for all the same reasons. At that time, we had been using mostly bowlifting 3-blade PTRs, which ran great, but didn't have the aforementioned handling characteristics that are so beneficial to the flats fisherman.  As my Aussie distributors would say, Dino, "Good on ya, mate!!!"  

Well, I'd best letcha go, m'friends. Again, my apologies for bein' persona non grata of late!!  :$

Happy Almost-Friiiiidaaaay!!!!!!!

Signed,

The Back-in-the-Saddle-Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo B|

1 hour ago, dabear said:

I am not sure if he could turn a 18 Talon SS4 on the 16 redfisher. Seems like the SS4 wheel design has people turning less pitch than lets say a SS talon three blade  . Capt. Tommy turns his Talon SS4 approximately 6100-6300 on. His HPX .  From the information that I have heard and read the guys running the 16 redfisher with equal power are usually running 2 pitches under what the 18HPX with equal HP are running .  Joe R 

I hear what you're saying Joe and you're right.  Unless Capt Tommy normally runs with a heavy load of gear and 3 people, he's not turning enough RPMs with the Talon SS4 18p, for it to be a good candidate on a Redfisher 16/F115 combo.

13 hours ago, mulligan said:

Columbo hot line info just in . Not sure if this has anything to do with the above statement but there is a rumor that two out of town men one from SC and one from Florida are sitting outside a large building on Chastain Rd. Kennesaw Ga.  One of the out of towners has a bunch of shovels and buckets and the second man has several ladders . May not have anything to do with a prop heist but Columbo has his eye on them . 

Joe, ya ol' prop slut!!!  :P  Long time, no read, dudeski!!! 

Just a heads-up for you, m'friend,...the V4 Pro prototype oughta be rollin' out shortly, so if you're a the Miami show, we should have one on the table to love on, along with a couple-other new toys, dudeski!!  O.o;)  Remember, fingerprints are compliments, baby!!!!   hehehehexD

Happy FRIDAAAAY, gang!!!

Signed,

Happy It's No Longer Nine Degrees'n'Snowin' in Propeller Paradise B|

49 minutes ago, Funky Monkey said:

Joe, ya ol' prop slut!!!  :P  Long time, no read, dudeski!!! 

Just a heads-up for you, m'friend,...the V4 Pro prototype oughta be rollin' out shortly, so if you're a the Miami show, we should have one on the table to love on, along with a couple-other new toys, dudeski!!  O.o;)  Remember, fingerprints are compliments, baby!!!!   hehehehexD

Happy FRIDAAAAY, gang!!!

Signed,

Happy It's No Longer Nine Degrees'n'Snowin' in Propeller Paradise B|

Mr. Monkey that thing has been a LONG time coming almost a year , I have one dialed in that I have been running about 5 or 6 months . Send me a E mail when you are ready to send one to my house I have been waiting to bolt that V4 Pro on and see if it everything that we talked about .  Joe R 

Yeah, I hear ya, Joe. It HAS been almost a year, m'friend.  We've been chasin' our tails for the last two years 'cause we've been over capacity the entire time.  Again, good problem to have.

Anyway, new toys'r'comin', Joe. Promise.9_9

Back to the subject at hand, though, that 16 Red oughta be a real HOOT with a 115 on it.  I remember bein' a Hewes/Maverick dealer show many years ago and ol' Ed Daddis (one of the MHP faithful at the time) was drivin' us across the bay at what felt like full tilt boogie in a surprisingly quick, pale yellow, 16 Red with a 90. It was probably blowin' 15-20 and we were headin' straight into it on our way to the show site. We felt like a couple o' kids, who had stolen the keys from dad, while he was outta town!!!:D  hehehehhehee   I'll never forget that, the FABULOUS blackened fish sammiches we seemed to find EVERYWHERE down there:x, nor the No-See-Ums on the beach (OUCH!!! :S)!!!!  

Ahhhhhh, good times, m'friends.  Goooood times!!!

Signed,

The Wistful Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :)B|

11 hours ago, Funky Monkey said:

Yeah, I hear ya, Joe. It HAS been almost a year, m'friend.  We've been chasin' our tails for the last two years 'cause we've been over capacity the entire time.  Again, good problem to have.

Anyway, new toys'r'comin', Joe. Promise.9_9

Back to the subject at hand, though, that 16 Red oughta be a real HOOT with a 115 on it.  I remember bein' a Hewes/Maverick dealer show many years ago and ol' Ed Daddis (one of the MHP faithful at the time) was drivin' us across the bay at what felt like full tilt boogie in a surprisingly quick, pale yellow, 16 Red with a 90. It was probably blowin' 15-20 and we were headin' straight into it on our way to the show site. We felt like a couple o' kids, who had stolen the keys from dad, while he was outta town!!!:D  hehehehhehee   I'll never forget that, the FABULOUS blackened fish sammiches we seemed to find EVERYWHERE down there:x, nor the No-See-Ums on the beach (OUCH!!! :S)!!!!  

Ahhhhhh, good times, m'friends.  Goooood times!!!

Signed,

The Wistful Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :)B|

If the big brown truck drops a brand new 21 pitch V4 Pro with fresh monkey prints all over it  off at my front door tomorrow it wouldnt be to soon .   Joe R 

HEHEHEHEHE:D

I KNEW I could count on you,...Prop Slut, Jr.!!!!  hehhehehe   :P   I promised Danny at Caribee that he'd be the first, since he was the first one really clamberin' for the Pro, when it was discontinued, but I'll keep ya posted on it, Dale. 

Oh, by the way, if you're bored sometime, feel free to give me a shout and I'll bore ya some more with my crazy engine'n'tranny swap project!!!  :oO.o  Joinin' the dark side with a K swap into the ol' Scort.  Gonna be a HOOOOT:D and one heckuva sleeper:ph34r:, baby !!!!!!!

Signed,

K Swapin' into a Mazda BG Chassis in Propeller Paradise

4 hours ago, Funky Monkey said:

hehehehehe xD

I hate to break it to ya, Joe, but the proto's a 19, so you tall fellas'll be waitin' a bit longer.  DOH!!!!  :o;)  That said, once we get the 19 done and tested, the 21 will be next up, Speed Racer!!!

Happy MONday, everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed,

Chillin' T'the Bone in Propeller Paradise B|

Mr. Monkey , I am in no hurry I have this thing dialed in pretty good . When that 21is a done deal send me a e mail . Dont want to be a test dummy dont want to test it and send it back I want a keeper that I can run fine tune and keep . Take Care Joe R

• 1 month later...

Yoooooo-Hooooo, Jooooe!!!  Yoooooo-Hooooo, Daaaallllle!!!!!  xD

I have some V4 Pro prototype news for you two fellers, and it's HOT off the press, as of 20 minutes ago!!!!!!:o:D

If you're interested, you know th' numbah!!!!   ;):P

Signed,

The Reeeeeally Excited Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo B|xD  

Marcus, I can not and wont speak for Dale . Geeviam (Gary )said he would run the 19 on his new RF 16 with SHO 115 and can tell you what he thinks . I am not interested in testing a 19 pitch because its a little small for my set up. How ever I am very interested in a PRD3-21 or even a PRD3-20 pitch . I will test either prop if you just need feedback about how it works on the 18 HPX- SHO VF 115 combo but most likely wont be able to make a WOT run with a 19 without being on the rev limiter. Let me know when these things are for sale or if you need a test run and results with this prop on a 18 HPX / 115 SHO combo  I sent a e mai to your work e mail . Thanks for your offer . Joe R

• 3 months later...

Guys,

It's been some time since I've been active here but I recently sold my Hewes 18 Redfisher and picked up a 2017 HPX w/ 115 SHO.  In researching props and trying to source the unicorn Yamaha Pro Series I've discovered this thread.  Just wanted to give you all an update that the Powertech PRO3 is available in 21 now.  Just ordered one today so hopefully it will be as great as expected.  I'll post results upon receipt.

Thx

Derek

Archived