Great weather and big Snook

VS-MasterAngler

Finally got a little stretch of nice weather and the water temp is back up around 70°, so I went exploring in an area that for some reason I always stayed away from... Sight casted this big girl sunning herself on dark mud bottom, she inhaled my rootbeer paddle tail and the fight was on! There were also a good amount of other snook on the same shoreline... So I think I'll take advantage of this nice weather and explore a little further tomorrow!

IMG_20180206_182203_721.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:53 AM, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Nice fish! I'm loving these mid 80's temps down here. I can't wait to sight cast them on beach! Won't be long! 

How close to the beach are we allowed to get while on the trolling motor?

12 minutes ago, J.N said:

How close to the beach are we allowed to get while on the trolling motor?

So there's a big misunderstanding when your're fishing the beach in a boat and want to fish inside the buoys all the way to the shoreline. You can fish as close as you want to inside any buoys that don't say "Keep Out!" Most beaches have swim buoys, but as long as you're idling along or on your TM you're fine. Now you can and probably will get yelled at and get lots of nasty looks from people walking on the beach, but you're allowed. I have a personal friend who's a FWC officer and he gets called all the time mainly from people calling about mullet guys throwing up on the beach in swim zones. I fish the beach a lot inside swim zones. Snook can be just a few feet from the shore and most guys don't realize that. I actually go all the way to the shore and then fish up current parallel to the shoreline. I just never fish near the more public areas where they're  a lot of people in the water. The snook will usually be in small pods, but the bigger ones (15lbs++) will usually be solo or in much smaller pods and you can sight fish them too which is super cool. 

An empty beach in summer with no one in sight is probably my top 2 favorite ways to fish for snook. Good luck! 

These are the ones you usually see around piers and public beach area's. Don't ever go inside these as you'll get a hefty ticket. 

Keep Out Buoys

Keep Out Buoy

Keep Out Buoys mark an area where boating is prohibited. They are white with two horizontal orange bands and an orange cross inside an orange diamond on two opposite sides. 

Archived