GlennF

Is one battery enough?

21 hours ago, fsusteve said:

a battery that blows up in your face is catastrophic, a dead battery is a nuisance 

Yep....but, try spending 8 hours on the dock at Outdoor Resorts in April with the rain pouring and the skitters a growing :(

dc

So your dead battery was in your truck at the ramp and you were there with your boat at the dock? Why didn’t you take the boat battery out and use that? Had to beat sitting there. 

On 2/8/2018 at 4:49 PM, fsusteve said:

So your dead battery was in your truck at the ramp and you were there with your boat at the dock? Why didn’t you take the boat battery out and use that? Had to beat sitting there. 

It would not fit...that was the problem....DonH's truck had some type of "side" attachment on the battery for the pos and neg poles (it was a Nissan Pathfinder)....trust me, we had 3-4 people on the dock trying to help us....after 4 pm, it was deadsville as it was Saturday before Easter and no one was open or coming out to help....AAA took 6 + hours to arrive.....it was hell...and then we had to put the truck on the flatbed and Donh's son towed the skiff home....it was an ugly day on the ramp :(

dc

2TM batteries under the console seat. 1 cranking battery in starboard aft compartment. Now where would you put a second cranking battery is the big question in a RF 18?

On 2/16/2018 at 6:59 AM, blewbyu said:

Now where would you put a second cranking battery is the big question in a RF 18?

You tie it in with the 1/2/ALL switch...

One of the TM batteries becomes your back up either alone (2) or together (ALL) position on the switch.

dc

On 2/18/2018 at 7:00 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

You tie it in with the 1/2/ALL switch...

One of the TM batteries becomes your back up either alone (2) or together (ALL) position on the switch.

dc

My 2TM batts are tied together for 24 volts. If I wanted to use one of them I would have to disconnect the series and run a jumper cable aft to my cranking battery. Both TM batts are under CC seat. Power to TM is in anchor locker twist on/off plug. No power cable aft where crank batt is.

49 minutes ago, blewbyu said:

My 2TM batts are tied together for 24 volts. If I wanted to use one of them I would have to disconnect the series and run a jumper cable aft to my cranking battery. Both TM batts are under CC seat. Power to TM is in anchor locker twist on/off plug. No power cable aft where crank batt is.

You do not have to disconnect them to use one that goes to a 1-2-all switch.  Each battery is still a 12VDC it is only 24 when run in series(pos to neg) such as a trolling motor. In your case you would have to run some wire from ONE of your TM batteries to the switch giving you your 12VDC.

54 minutes ago, blewbyu said:

I might be all crossed up, but I thought you could just run a jumper cable from a positive post on a trolling battery to a positive post on a dead cranking battery to crank your big motor.....no disconnecting. 

Am I wrong?

• Like 1

I also am, lucky to have an RF18. It has been a real pleasure to fish out of for several years. DINO hit it right on the head; skimping on batteries doesn't make sense. You'll be adding TM and many other devices as time goes on. My Rf18 came with 1 battery. It didn't take me a year to outfit it with 3 Batteries wired up to the " HOBO" system on this forum.They all fit under my center console and I have peace of mind and plenty of power when on the water.

BTW i added an on board battery charger which serves all 3 batteries and keeps them up to charge.

Thanks YankeeRedfisher, good to hear all 3 batteries fit in console, already looking at TMs. Might have to wait a bit though to get a gps minkota - kind of pricey 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, JEM said:

I might be all crossed up, but I thought you could just run a jumper cable from a positive post on a trolling battery to a positive post on a dead cranking battery to crank your big motor.....no disconnecting. 

Am I wrong?

I may be wrong, lord knows i often am.  My thinking is that if you run a positive from a good battery but do not tie the grounds together in the boat you will not start the motor. I am assumeing the trolling motor battries are stand alone and not grounded to the boat system in any way. Think about jumping a car off. two sepetate systems. just running the positive will not do anything. you have to ground the good system to the dead batter of the ground system on that car.

As far as taking 12 volts from 24 volt system, yes simply run the positive and negative off one 12 volt battery and the fact that it is tied into the 24 volt pack will not matter.

3 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Are trolling motor packs usually grounded to the boats ground system? 

Trolling motors batteries are a separate circuit and not tied to the other house or cranking batteries or boat grounding to my knowledge.  But I would think that you could still crank a motor with just one jumper cable from a positive post on a charged trolling motor battery to the positive post on a discharged cranking battery.  Providing, of course, that the engine negative cable is still hooked to the discharged cranking battery.  Somebody can straighten me out if I am wrong...... 

3 hours ago, JEM said:

Trolling motors batteries are a separate circuit and not tied to the other house or cranking batteries or boat grounding to my knowledge.  But I would think that you could still crank a motor with just one jumper cable from a positive post on a charged trolling motor battery to the positive post on a discharged cranking battery.  Providing, of course, that the engine negative cable is still hooked to the discharged cranking battery.  Somebody can straighten me out if I am wrong...... 

No way that will work. The grounds have to be present. Again just like jumping a car off. 

An extra battery does not always mean a lot of extra weight.  I really like the piece of mind knowing my starting battery hasn't been beat down by pumps, stereo,, lights, etc.

I'm a huge fan of the smaller sized, lighter Odyssey batteries.  I'm running an Odyssey PC925 in the rear hatch for my starting battery (175 HPDI Vmax), and another PC925 in the console for my house battery.  You could also bump up to a bigger group 24 battery for the house if you wanted to have ample capacity.  On my 16 Hewes I ran a tiny PC680 for starting my 2 stroke 90 and the PC925 for the house.  The Odyssey's aren't cheap, but in the 8+ batteries that friends and I have owned, all have lasted more than 6 years.

A nice perk on the "newer" Yamaha's is a charging wire for the accessory battery.  This system (on the motor) handles topping off your starting battery then switches over to charge your accessory battery, and keeps them isolated when the motor is off.  

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

Cheers,

Bud

I'm all set now. Ended up with 3 batteries, a charger and a 24V Rhodan trolling motor. My thanks to everyone that responded.  Just returned from Islamorada. Ran the boat back to Flamingo, boat ran like a champ.

Glenn 

IMG_4587.JPG.d3b6810abc25b656b7d48cda18133bc9.JPG

• Like 3

Looks great Glenn! How do you like your Rhodan? 

Can you post a picture of where the trolling motor wiring passes through the deck?  Curious of what you used. 

Looks great Glenn!  I just finished installing and testing a 54" 24v Rhodan TM too.  3 batteries in the console, Dual Pro RS3 battery charger, wired using Hobo's configuration.  Added a Yandina galvanic isolator to protect against corrosion if connected to questionable shore power when the boat is in the water.  Installed two clam shell vents in opposite directions, with s/s screens, at the highest point on the console, for air flow and heat to escape.  Battery Tender TM plug up under the bow.

Love the Rhodan!

0929182252a.jpg

0929182253a.jpg

0929182255.jpg

0929182255a.jpg

0929182300a.jpg

0929182302.jpg

1024181817.jpg

Hobos Wiring Diagram.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Geeviam,

Where's your poling platform? Looks cool without it.

I am clearly not as technical as you, my dealer installed my Rhodan, batteries and charger. Thanks for  sharing your setup.

You have a nice looking boat, Glenn

I have 2 batteries in the console

IMG_4717.JPG

plus charger

IMG_4718.JPG

3rd battery (starter battery) is in bow hatch

IMG_4715.JPG

plug to charge batteries is in right side of console under rod holders

IMG_4716.JPG

I like the flush mount plug for TM in bow cause I'm known to be clumsy

IMG_4722.JPGt