GlennF

Is one battery enough?

Hi Guys, question for knowledgeable battery folks. Just ordered my new RF18 and it comes with 1 battery. I plan to run a GPS/FF combo and live well frequently. Do I need a 2nd battery or will 1 do? I usually keep my battery on a trickle charger as the boat sits in garage when not in use, is that enough? What would a battery charger do? Does a battery charger hold energy and charge the battery while it’s in use? (Boat is coming w/SHO115 if that makes any difference) Thank you for your input

are you also going to have a trolling motor and power pole. I have always had two start batteries and two tm batteries. Battery charger does not hold energy. just supplies juice when plugged in if your talking about a portable one. if on board type it can do several thing depending on type and how it is set up. I am not a charger guru, there are many here who are. hope they respond.

One battery is plenty to run your wells and electronics and still start your motor.  Having said that I would not want to have only one battery with no other way to start my motor should/when the battery dies.  If you have a trolling motor you could use that as backup or a small jump box.

• Like 1

One battery will run your boat.

Two battries for a safety factor to always be able to start her and get back to the hill.

One battery is enough. I've run GPS fish finder and livewell all for many hours on a group 34 battery and the motor starts fine as long as the battery is in good condition. 

With one battery and going off shore or in a remote area, a portable jump starter would give you peace of mind.

If you add a trolling motor you'll also add 1 or 2 more batteries dedicated to the troller. So a pair of jumper cables or at least a wrench to swap batteries is a good idea in case your starting battery dies. 

You shouldn't need to charge your starting battery at all if you run the motor every few weeks. Turn the battery switch off when not in use.

Enjoy the new RF!

5 hours ago, fin-addict said:

are you also going to have a trolling motor and power pole. I have always had two start batteries and two tm batteries. Battery charger does not hold energy. just supplies juice when plugged in if your talking about a portable one. if on board type it can do several thing depending on type and how it is set up. I am not a charger guru, there are many here who are. hope they respond.

Thank you for your response. I do not plan to have a power pole and figured if I ever add a trolling motor then I'd have to add 2 batteries for that correct?

I want to thank you Guys for your responses. I like the "portable jump starter" idea from Bernie and Wthree3 then I'm not carrying the added weight around. I do see value in a dual battery system if I was going into remote areas. 

Thanks again, great site,

Glenn 

When I bout my MA21 new, Chuck at Ft. Myers Marine rigged it in such a way that would allow you to cut off your troller batteries and flip the main battery selector to 2 and start the big engine from a trolling battery.  I presume they ran a hot to the console, and just used common ground for TM batteries as well as the house battery.

The key was not having the main selector EVER set to ALL.

I run three batteries. Two for trolling motor on isolated circuit and one for powerpole and bait wells. Also carry a handheld portable charger. Only fish inshore now so with a BOAT US policy I am never far from help. Still feel better with some back up. When I had my offshore boat I carried four batteries.

Thanks mdemott, I think I'm going to go with just one battery for starters as I don't plan on a power pole or trolling motor for now. Like the idea of the portable charger though and in my area we use Seatow giving me etra insurance. Thanks for your input. Glenn

I think it depends where you plan to fish.  For me in Tampa bay,  one is fine I can always find help.  Also I always have cell service.  If I was regularly fishing the Everglades, I would have a boat load of batteries! 

On 2/3/2018 at 7:39 AM, GlennF said:

Just ordered my new RF18 and it comes with 1 battery

Having a hard time understanding your logic ???  You are buying a skiff, NEW, that costs $50K plus....why are you not considering a second battery as a backup?   Cost?  Weight?

To ME....It makes absolutely no sense to have a boat with only one battery.  From a safety standpoint.....a battery CAN FAIL without warning and you could put yourself and anyone on the vessel in danger when this takes place... ....the chances are low..but, for $150+ installed, it makes no sense to me....sorry to be so direct....

DC

• Like 2

Tend to agree with Wanaflatsfish, if your spending that much whats $150-$200 for another battery and an on-board charger.  Heck my boat cost me $1,300 and I have three batteries and an on-boardcharger. I do have a TM though !!!   Oh, and don't forget the paddle...B|

2 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Tend to agree with Wanaflatsfish, if your spending that much whats $150-$200 for another battery and an on-board charger.  Heck my boat cost me $1,300 and I have three batteries and an on-boardcharger. I do have a TM though !!!   Oh, and don't forget the paddle...B|

x2 !! all the way.

Never thought of it that way Dino but good point.  Why not go ahead and get the second battery and have B1 just for crank and B2 just for acc with a stealth DC. Both will charge when running outboard and if one fails for some crazy reason, the the other can get you to safety. Could always do the little jump pack for backup with a single battery but if your single battery dies while off the grid, the cool battery jumper thing will be useless. Battery 2 = price of an inshore Teremar rod. 

11 hours ago, rubble said:

Never thought of it that way Dino but good point.  Why not go ahead and get the second battery and have B1 just for crank and B2 just for acc with a stealth DC. Both will charge when running outboard and if one fails for some crazy reason, the the other can get you to safety. Could always do the little jump pack for backup with a single battery but if your single battery dies while off the grid, the cool battery jumper thing will be useless. Battery 2 = price of an inshore Teremar rod. 

DonH and I had a car battery have a catastrophic failure one Sunday in Chokoloskee....we spent 8 hours for a tow truck to tow us back to Miami/FLL...the battery completely failed....Saturday night....no one around to change it out.......it was Easter weekend, lots of mosquitos....rain and heat...never forget that night and it's a reminder a battery can fail - it went bad without notice......

dc

On 2/3/2018 at 7:39 AM, GlennF said:

Hi Guys, question for knowledgeable battery folks. Just ordered my new RF18 and it comes with 1 battery. I plan to run a GPS/FF combo and live well frequently. Do I need a 2nd battery or will 1 do? I usually keep my battery on a trickle charger as the boat sits in garage when not in use, is that enough? What would a battery charger do? Does a battery charger hold energy and charge the battery while it’s in use? (Boat is coming w/SHO115 if that makes any difference) Thank you for your input

No way would I go with 1 battery.

If you are fishing all day and not running around a lot to let your motor charge your battery you gonna get in a bind one day. I have run a battery down low enough from running my bait well and GPS with very little engine running time to not be able to start the engine. As an example, yesterday I fished for 5 hrs and put less than 30 minutes run time on my engine. During that time I probably cranked the main engine 6 or 7 times to move a hundred yards and then shut down and back on the trolling motor. That type of activity can get you in trouble with 1 battery.

Also remember, today's modern engines require good voltage to start. A low battery may have enough juice to spin one but it may not be enough to get it to fire.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

No way would I go with 1 battery.

If you are fishing all day and not running around a lot to let your motor charge your battery you gonna get in a bind one day. I have run a battery down low enough from running my bait well and GPS with very little engine running time to not be able to start the engine. As an example, yesterday I fished for 5 hrs and put less than 30 minutes run time on my engine. During that time I probably cranked the main engine 6 or 7 times to move a hundred yards and then shut down and back on the trolling motor. That type of activity can get you in trouble with 1 battery.

Also remember, today's modern engines require good voltage to start. A low battery may have enough juice to spin one but it may not be enough to get it to fire.

Been there, done that, many times.  But with two batteries, no sweat, no worry! 

4 hours ago, hurricane said:

All them batteries in your boat, and no jumper cables!! Come on man!!!

We had jumpers....nothing would crank the battery....100% dead....it was a catastrophic failure....not just low or dead...the engine was running fine...then stopped......DonH's truck had a side connect battery and we could not get anything that would allow us to use another battery....we tried several different jumpers, etc....trust me !!! hours and hours in the heat and skittters....never forget :)

dc

• Like 1