Sign in to follow this  
justfish

Bigger bilge access hatches

I know it been discussed before but the TH Marine one everyone mentioned in that thread is no longer made anymore. 

Looking for biggest access I can for 03 Pathfinder. Want the full removal type, not hinged.  Anyone know who’s making these now ? 

The same people that makes outboard brackets, Armstrong, makes a heck of a quality looking hatch.   The key is water tight ability, and you would think they would have this down pat.  If I had to replace mine now, I think I would try the Armstrong if the dimensions worked!   

Thank you. I just checked those out. Right size and seems like they should have the watertight thing down. 

But they seem to be “frameless”. Your hole is what it fits into. I’m not sure that’s best for a retrofitting. Unless I re glass the edge I cut, I’m wondering if I’ll be dealing with fiberglass splinters and even chipping.

Anyone actually use one of these?

Thanks!  That’s exaclty what I’m looking for Hurricane. It only comes in a “white”, does it match the typical off white of these boats Ok? Obviously not gonna find exact but just don’t really want it to stick out like a sore thumb 

What size is that? They have a 11x23 that would be tight but should fit and would give Awesome access.  That looks to be lil smaller 

They had two colors when I bought it,  maybe white and polar white.  They were very similar and I don't recall which one I got,  but I think any white will be fine.  

Here’s mine before and after. Well not in that order I guess.

What a difference! Now I gotta get in there and clean it all up. 

345B75EE-FFE3-499B-B848-88F8C583E1A3.jpeg

E7B93C21-0BD3-4C9D-965B-DA1AF4A7CBE7.jpeg

Being so big, It was lil tough to get much of anything in the motor well especially around the rigging.  I used an oscillating tool which is my go too tool, for cuts in tough spots. Actually the blades are in one of the pics of your not familiar with one. I used a smaller blade for making the corner cuts. 

10 hours ago, Convertible13 said:

Man, that looks nice. What did you use to cut the fiberglass? I need to do that on my MA 21.

I installed one on my Pathy years ago....the best tool is a cheap air saw from Harbor Freight....the higher the RPM's the cleaner the cut.

The air saw is about $30 or so....

dc

44 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I installed one on my Pathy years ago....the best tool is a cheap air saw from Harbor Freight....the higher the RPM's the cleaner the cut.

The air saw is about $30 or so....

dc

I have one of those and tried it.- you can see my compressor back there.  For some reason it didnt work well, it kept getting bound up even going slow.  Seemed like it just didn’t have the tourque to do it. It’s been a while since I used it so maybe I need to review the manual to see if I had everything set right. 

After a number of renovations, my Fein oscillating tool is like an extension of my arm now. Hard to beat one for stuff like this. Bonus is it very little dust.  

2 hours ago, justfish said:

Fein oscillating tool is like an extension of my arm now

I have one as well......great tool !!!! Now that it's off patent...there are lots of generic blades....I used my Fein on several fiberglass projects as well....

dc