Bigger bilge access hatches

justfish

The same people that makes outboard brackets, Armstrong, makes a heck of a quality looking hatch.   The key is water tight ability, and you would think they would have this down pat.  If I had to replace mine now, I think I would try the Armstrong if the dimensions worked!   

Thank you. I just checked those out. Right size and seems like they should have the watertight thing down. 

But they seem to be “frameless”. Your hole is what it fits into. I’m not sure that’s best for a retrofitting. Unless I re glass the edge I cut, I’m wondering if I’ll be dealing with fiberglass splinters and even chipping.

Anyone actually use one of these?

Being so big, It was lil tough to get much of anything in the motor well especially around the rigging.  I used an oscillating tool which is my go too tool, for cuts in tough spots. Actually the blades are in one of the pics of your not familiar with one. I used a smaller blade for making the corner cuts. 

44 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I installed one on my Pathy years ago....the best tool is a cheap air saw from Harbor Freight....the higher the RPM's the cleaner the cut.

The air saw is about $30 or so....

dc

I have one of those and tried it.- you can see my compressor back there.  For some reason it didnt work well, it kept getting bound up even going slow.  Seemed like it just didn’t have the tourque to do it. It’s been a while since I used it so maybe I need to review the manual to see if I had everything set right. 

After a number of renovations, my Fein oscillating tool is like an extension of my arm now. Hard to beat one for stuff like this. Bonus is it very little dust.  

Archived