Sealing fuel sender access panel

General disarray

Hey guys,

This is in relation to the fuel sender access panel inside the console on an 03 22

It appears as though my access panel let’s water through and sits on top of the fuel tank right on the sender.

what are you guys using to seal that up if anything?

Was initially thinking a bead of silicon but then thought maybe foam seal

Can you not attach clear plastic tubing to the cup holders and route the hose down to flow the water out the console?  SS cup holders usually have a drain nipple to attach a drain tube!?!?  And figure out some way to seal the cell phone holder?  Why not post a picture, and I bet you will get some great ideas on how to seal it.  I just think your wiring, switches, etc in the console will thank you for a drier environment to live in.  

14 hours ago, JEM said:

Curious as to how you are getting water inside your console?

if the 03 is like the 02, the rod holders drain into the console. supposed to drain back out in a trough on each side through a hole in the wall. hole clogs up and won't drain. i put cups on the bottom of each rod holder and ran tubing from each to the drain hole. the gas tank will droop down on top and hold water right on top of the sending unit causing corrosion. i actually had to cut a hole in my tank and install 2 columns inside the tank to make the top sort of domed to keep moisture from puddling there. a nightmare of a job. cut a 4 x 10 hole in the tank and made a ss flange inside and out with a cork gasket to seal it. now i can take the plate off once a year and reach my arm into the tank and clean out all the ethanol related crap. not a job for the faint hearted.

access hole.jpg

gas tank patch.jpg

53 minutes ago, smooth move said:

if the 03 is like the 02, the rod holders drain into the console. supposed to drain back out in a trough on each side through a hole in the wall. hole clogs up and won't drain. i put cups on the bottom of each rod holder and ran tubing from each to the drain hole. the gas tank will droop down on top and hold water right on top of the sending unit causing corrosion. i actually had to cut a hole in my tank and install 2 columns inside the tank to make the top sort of domed to keep moisture from puddling there. a nightmare of a job. cut a 4 x 10 hole in the tank and made a ss flange inside and out with a cork gasket to seal it. now i can take the plate off once a year and reach my arm into the tank and clean out all the ethanol related crap. not a job for the faint hearted.

access hole.jpg

gas tank patch.jpg

This is the exact problem I am having. I know the “floor” inside the console is domed- are the troughs on the outside where the dome meets the edge of the console? Basically meant to keep water on the deck and then run under the console or no?

I looked and saw what you were talking about - mine are clear but bad part is cup holders don’t have a spot for a drain tube .....

also looks like the floor of the console is tilted toward the opening due to the aftermarket wash down. Seems like the quick fix is going to be a foam weather seal or silicon until I can get to replacing cup holders and sealing up the cell phone holder. 

Any input?

you might google TH Marine. that's where i got the nipples for the rod holders. i think they have them for cup holders also. really bad design for a boat with the reputation like PF. they went to an outside cheap looking rod holder on later models. i was getting water in my gas thru the sending unit and seemed to get even worse if i was trailering the boat in rain. good luck. i ended up cutting out almost the entire ares under the console and replacing it with a piece of starboard and installing a hatch over the sending unit. now i can open the hatch and access the tank fairly easy. i love my boat, have had it since new in 02, but i'll never buy another new one.

My rod holders drain into the console.  I got these caps from TH Marine and connected them with clear tubing and routed them to the aft edge of the console.  I just think the less moisture you have in the console, the less corrosion problems you will have to deal with!  👍

0A2F5276-3839-4CF0-BBA5-CBE7FD31E54A.jpeg

2 hours ago, smooth move said:

you might google TH Marine. that's where i got the nipples for the rod holders. i think they have them for cup holders also. really bad design for a boat with the reputation like PF. they went to an outside cheap looking rod holder on later models. i was getting water in my gas thru the sending unit and seemed to get even worse if i was trailering the boat in rain. good luck.

have your clear tubing molded up yet? mine did. i have to clean em out every 4 or 5 months.

Ill have to order some of those up. Thanks for the Tip. Edited to Add - I looked at TH marine and cant buy them directly. Ill have to do some searching online

I assume you just run the tubes down to the little drop off area where the drains are?

To get me by I just put down some adhesive weather stripping so I dont have water rolling onto that tank

Archived