Texas Coast

AMJ

We are planning a trip to San Antonio this spring. Looking at distances to the gulf coast.  Looks like around 2-1/2 hours to Corpus Christi. Is that feasible to think about planning a fishing trip and if so, anyone have any suggestions?  I’d be looking for inshore fishing.

Port O’Connor is always a good bet. Lots of good guides and great fishing; however, no night life or beach. Next best is Port Aransas but the hurricane tore it up. Corpus offers great restaurants, beach, and state aquarium plus other tourista stuff. That may fit your needs depending on the crowd you will be with. Baffin Bay which is a little south of Corpus is a big trout Mecca! Lots of guides. 

Port O'Connor and Rockport are both great inshore fishing areas easily accessible from San Antonio.  Rockport might be a little closer, but not by much.  Rockport offers much better amenities like restaurants, hotels, etc than Port O'Connor.  Although Rockport was hit dead on by Harvey, it has recovered pretty remarkably.  Almost all the restaurants are open again.  Curtiss Cash is a great guide in the Port O'Connor area for conventional gear.  Tom Horbey is the top fly guide in that area.  In Rockport, I really only know the fly guides and Eric Knipling is top notch.

I would go to Corpus, but I'd stay the night there.  Upper Lagnua and Baffin are one of the world's best trophy speckled trout destinations.  2 1/2 hours is a pretty good morning hike if you want to hit the water at daylight.  There are lots of good guides in that area if that's your plan.  Get someone to show you Baffin.  Those rocks are not forgiving.  

Agree with Bruce - Rockport would be a great alternative for inshore fishing. Many guides in the area that cover everything from soaking bait in the bay to sight fishing in skinny water. Can be done in a day from San Antonio but is 2.5 hr trip each way.

Baffin would be another hour drive and as others have mentioned is a known for sow trout - however most of the big girls are caught in the winter, while wading in waist to chest deep water.

What type of fishing do you want to do? I know a few guides in the area.

Archived