Bald Eagle

fishin4tails

That is so cool!!

While in the Everglades many months ago, my son and I saw a bald eagle chase down an osprey that had a mullet in its mouth. Well, there wasn't much of a chase....the eagle caught up to the osprey with ease and the osprey dropped the mullet onto an oyster bar just before it got pummeled by the eagle. The eagle swooped down to devour that mullet and the other birds on that oyster bar scattered like roaches! The eagle went on to scoop another mullet from the water then flew away after that. All that happened within a span of about 30 seconds, it was such an awesome "Nat Geo" moment. There was no doubt that none of the birds wanted anything to do with that eagle....

This pair nests in a tree above my garage and(probably not the exact birds)have been for over thirty years. They normally have two clutches of young per year and use my front yard lagoon area to teach them how to fish. My yard becomes a bone/fur yard during their stay as the small animal population takes a major hit.

They migrate North in mid-May and return to FL around Labor Day. I'm not certain if they migrate during a moon phase or according to the length of the daylight hours but are very consistant year to year.

Thanks! This was taken on my Nikon D3100 55-200mm lens.

-conocean, its definitely an amazing sight seeing a bald eagle doing pretty much anything.. lol. i saw one last year chilling on an oyster bar with the largest mullet I have ever seen! definitely great hunters haha

-hurricanedavid, your right on the money, thats exactly when I start seeing them, last weekend I was out on the water next to blind p*** and there were two eagles flying around, I'm pretty surprised how often I have been seeing them lately.

Archived