Sign in to follow this  
pondfisher

Sheeps are chewing

First sheepshead trip in the books. Not a super fast bite but we still managed to get within 6 fish of our limit. Lots of medium size fish and 5 biggins.

February and early March should be on fire.

image.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

That's a lot more fish than I have caught in the last few weeks. The weather stinks and the fish around Anclote all look stoned.

A352E668-6522-4FCD-B995-5C22346291F7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

How are you rigged for them?

Nice catch.....looks like you'll have some nice sandwiches for a few weeks...

dc

DC,

You can use a simple knocker rig if you prefer, but, I go 20 lb. braid to lead ranging from 1/4 oz. all the way up to 2 oz depending on how fast the current is ripping across the reef. Lead-bead-swivel to 20 lb flouro to hook of choice. A lot of discussion on "best sheepshead hook" out there. Some guys swear by small J hooks but once you've got the circle hook technique down you won't go back. I switch back and forth between mutu style circles and octopus style circles but never bigger than 1/0. My hook of choice is an Owners mutu circle #1. Even smaller #2 circles work well. 

7 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Had to slam the tower boat in reverse to keep from running over and chopping up a 40 inch snook.:(

Wow.  Hopefully we'll dodge a bullet from these cold fronts and not end up with the disaster of the winter of 2010.

We lost quite a few Anclote north. I have seen 50 or so dead and the jacks took a beating as well. Mostly worried about the year of young.

The coldest morning a lagoon north of Anclote. The River mouth was 49.:o

sRqT7AS.jpg

• Sad 1