Hull/Gunnel Detailing

Stonehenge

Boat is a 2001 1900V Pathfinder.  The hull has some ever so slight yellowish tinting below the water line.  The gunnels seem to have a haze with a matte feeling to it.  Is the haze/matte texture gunnel normal for this boat?  What's the best way to restore the hull to it's like new condition for a DIY'er?  What's the best way to restore the gunnels?

1900 Hull 1.jpg

1900 Gunnel 1.jpg

1900 Gunnel 2.jpg

Mary Kate On Off will usually remove the yellowing below the water line.  Just wipe on, then wipe off.  Rinse well.   Don't get it in your eyes!  I will leave the rest to the compound and buffing experts.   The easy way is to allow a good professional detailer at it.  They can make it look like new for probably $300 to $500.

26 minutes ago, JEM said:

Mary Kate On Off will usually remove the yellowing below the water line.  Just wipe on, then wipe off.  Rinse well.   Don't get it in your eyes!  I will leave the rest to the compound and buffing experts.   The easy way is to allow a good professional detailer at it.  They can make it look like new for probably $300 to $500.

Just researched the Mary Kate On Off, appears to be some pretty good stuff.  Thanks for the input. 

Without seeing it in person, it's difficult to tell how aggressive you will have to be to get rid of that "dead" gelcoat that is on the surface of your boat. I know from experience that it is a lot of hard work in the best case. If you have your heart set on doing it yourself, you will need to get ahold of a variable speed buffer/polisher of some sort. After thoroughly washing the boat, you can start by trying some light polishing compounds such as 3M Marine Compound And Finishing Material or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, as directed, to see if they will cut away the dead gelcoat and bring out a decent glossy surface.  If that works for you, you can use a quality marine wax such as Colinite or 3M Marine Liquid Wax to finish up. If the gloss does not return using the first step, you will need to try some more aggressive compounds such as West Marine Ultra Cut Rubbing Compound or something similar. If you are still unable to bring out a decent gloss from the gelcoat, you may have to resort to using progressive grades of wet-sandpaper. This is an absolute ball-busting endeavor which in not for the faint-of-heart. The paper itself is expensive ($2+ per sheet) and the work is done by hand. The wet-sandpaper comes in different grades, according to the size of the grit. 400 grit is about as stout a grit as you want to use initially. Anything more aggressive than this will do so much damage to the gelcoat that you will have difficulty removing the scratches. I normally start with 400, if necessary and follow that with 600 grit, 800 grit,1000 grit, and 1200 grit. Once you have worked your way up to 1200 grit you can use the 3M Marine Compound And Finishing Material or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to prep the boat for the wax. At this point, the Karate Kid will have nothing on you. There are other quality products similar to the ones I have mentioned here. The ones I mentioned just happen to be the ones I have used over the years with good results. Good luck!

Archived