MA21 Prop Choice

Dobey1

2004 HPDI 225.

Had  OFX 3 blade 21, couldn't turn it past 5700, and holeshot was poor and way to much porposing. It did however cruise about 4mph over the tach.

Now OFX 4 blade 20. So much better, holeshot spectactular, runs level so no more tabs needed, runs square through the rpms, and wings up to 5900.

(my engine is mounted all the down. Id like to move it up 1 hole...then MAYBE ill go to a 21 4 OFX, but its all good now)

Id rather under pitch a boat for those loaded down days, plus its just better on the engine. Got the prop from the unhappy guy above - thanks Steve:)

22 hours ago, captpn said:

2004 HPDI 225.

Had  OFX 3 blade 21, couldn't turn it past 5700, and holeshot was poor and way to much porposing. It did however cruise about 4mph over the tach.

Now OFX 4 blade 20. So much better, holeshot spectactular, runs level so no more tabs needed, runs square through the rpms, and wings up to 5900.

(my engine is mounted all the down. Id like to move it up 1 hole...then MAYBE ill go to a 21 4 OFX, but its all good now)

Id rather under pitch a boat for those loaded down days, plus its just better on the engine. Got the prop from the unhappy guy above - thanks Steve:)

Off the top of my head isn't the 04 HPDI 225  WOT range 4500 to 5500 RPM's ? 5700 would be putting you past that.

16 minutes ago, Ridding_Dirty said:

Off the top of my head isn't the 04 HPDI 225  WOT range 4500 to 5500 RPM's ? 5700 would be putting you past that.

Yes and no unless it is different than my 05 250.  My manual say 4500 to 5500 as well but they changed it in 06 I think because of fouling plugs and such.  When I spoke to Marcus and others I was told to treat it as the range went to 6k and so I did.  The rev limiters are all set the same, 6150 rpm.   It might not be the same with the 225.

Correct.

I couldn't imagine propping for 4500 or 5000... the holeshot /load carrying ability/responsiveness would all suffer.

I don't run over 5500 often, but it will do it.

I do have to trim it and rooster to get to 5800/5900 but it doesn't loose bite with the big OFX...and at that point tabs are needed a bit, so its all just for show not go...

1 hour ago, captpn said:

Correct.

I couldn't imagine propping for 4500 or 5000... the holeshot /load carrying ability/responsiveness would all suffer.

I don't run over 5500 often, but it will do it.

I do have to trim it and rooster to get to 5800/5900 but it doesn't loose bite with the big OFX...and at that point tabs are needed a bit, so its all just for show not go...

If i understand you correctly you are saying a ideal target range would be in the higher 5k range  like 5750 RPMS

The seller also said to me it can be run a bit higher. At the time I thought that was odd and thought he was just BSing me to think it could get more top end. Guess it is coming together. I do understand WOT Ranges and ideal range for average loads.

yup, I think 5800 ish is fine...being this is a BIG boat that may get loaded down on occasion.

You don't have to run it up there everyday, but it just performs better through the rest of the range. If it runs square, that's right on w 225 HPDI.

If you prop for 5000, then you would be putting a higher pitch prop on, and the fun just goes out of the boat... no holeshot, laggy response, no load ability and not good for carbon buildup...but possibly a little faster.

Get your hands on an OFX 4 20p and give it a try. These hulls like stern lift and a 3 blade just doesn't have enough.

Maybe Capt Troy will reply...he's tried plenty of props on this hull.

• 1 year later...

All Wet and FSUSteve, what kind of numbers did you get with the OFX4-21 with the vmax 250 hpdi? I have a 2008 21 MA with the same engine, but it has an OFX4-23. my max speed is about 62 mph. I would rather have a little better hole shot and possibly sacrifice top end.