rdupre

Re-power my 2006 Redfisher 16

I'm getting ready to repower my 2006 Redfisher 16.  I have a 2005 4-stroke Yamaha 90.  Nothing wrong with it but I want to power up to 115 HP with the newer 115s becoming lighter with the new generation of Mercs, Yamaha, etc.

I was thinking about the new Yamaha SHO 115 but recently was reading about the new Mercury 115 XS 4-stroke.  It seems to be about 18 pounds lighter than the Yamaha (577 vs 559)...if I can believe the literature from both companies?  

Any Refisher 16 owners with boats in my year range repower them with 115 HP options?  If so, tell me what you think. 

One other thing is I'm going to add a power pole at the same time I repower.  Does that extra weight on the stern of the boat create any issues I need to be concerned about?

Thanks,

Roger

How are you coming on your repower? I would like to hear your thoughts on Yamaha to Mercury comparison and of its not to personal, the justification on cost of the motor on your older hull. 

I have a 2007 hull and am trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing the same thing and have been for over a year. I have asked several forum members privately the same questions to get outside thoughts and ideas and will post them in this comment.

The Yamaha seems to be a little more technically advanced, needs to have the valve adjusted during services and has a smaller displacement, whereas the Mercury does not need valve adjustments ever,  larger displacement,  multiple gear ratios to choose from when purchasing,  and is 1k less in price (online pricing only). If you go with the Merc you would have to get new controls and gauges but I have no idea how much that would cost (say that eats up the 1k difference so now the price is the same}.

Which one has the better warranty and best dealer support in your area? When you decide on which on you want then I would wait for the times when they offer extended warranties for free or more rebate money to get the most bang for your buck.

What about your old motor, are you going to trade it or sell it outright? Is your selling dealer willing to work with you and help as a trade or consign it for you?

Lastly, do you like your boat enough to spend 10k on the upgrade because it may not be worth an extra 10K (cost of motor) after the upgrade? could you sell your whole boat and move into something better suited for you? Say sell yours for $15-20k add the 10K for the motor upgrade and spend $25-30K on something better?