Re-power my 2006 Redfisher 16 ( with pics now)

rdupre

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here is the final product.  I'm pretty excited about it.  Boat is being delivered Saturday July 14th but here are the pictures.  I'll add more pictures when I get it home and have time to do so.  Will probably do a video as well.

• 2018 Yami SHO
  • SeaDek
  • Power Pole Blade
  • Hydraulic Jackplate
  • Trailer mods to lower the boat in between the wheel wells and change boards and carpet, etc.
  • New Tires

IMG_2419_LI.jpg.e653628145bc646bdf06a0cac408b33a.jpgIMG_2420.JPG.e48a7db75d0eda8c17e61eb9c5b1e167.JPGIMG_2421.JPG.7111f4297b5a013f6664ce3f05f99fcd.JPG

46 minutes ago, lurem said:

That is a great looking boat! You did a fantastic job and I like the look with the polling platform.

I took the polling platform off a number of years ago.  I don't really poll when I'm fishing here is south Louisiana.  I have the ability to quickly put the platform back on if needed.

23 hours ago, lurem said:

That is a great looking boat! You did a fantastic job and I like the look with the polling platform.

Yes, I think a platform adds some additional utility as well....I have rod holders on mine which keeps the rods out of the way from the console.

BTW, lots of sea-deck...what did the whole upgrade run you?   Looks like you have a nice skiff for the next 10 years for sure....

DC

On 7/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, rdupre said:

OK, here is the final product.  I'm pretty excited about it.  Boat is being delivered Saturday July 14th but here are the pictures.  I'll add more pictures when I get it home and have time to do so.  Will probably do a video as well.

• 2018 Yami SHO
  • SeaDek
  • Power Pole Blade
  • Hydraulic Jackplate
  • Trailer mods to lower the boat in between the wheel wells and change boards and carpet, etc.
  • New Tires

Which make and model (size) hydraulic jack plate did you buy?

3 hours ago, RedReaper said:

Looks great! Can't wait to see some performnce numbers as I am wanting to repower my 05 with a new 115 sho. 

Ran it today and hole shot is not good.  

Currently have a 3 blade 21 pitch Power Tech PTR 3R21PYM90

top end at 6000 RPM is 50mph but having to use trim tabs to keep it from bouncing.

working with Marcus at Power Texh and motor installer and I have confidence they’ll get it dialed in.

current thinking is to stay with same prop but drop to 19 or 17 pitch .

i’ll keep you updated.

love the 115 sho.

12 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Yes, I think a platform adds some additional utility as well....I have rod holders on mine which keeps the rods out of the way from the console.

BTW, lots of sea-deck...what did the whole upgrade run you?   Looks like you have a nice skiff for the next 10 years for sure....

DC

Love the seadek so far.  Today I fished and I definitely feel it had a positive impact on fatigue.  It was hot today and I fished standing up the entire time.  Love the power pole addition as well. 

PM me for cost please.  

1 hour ago, rdupre said:

Bob’s action 6 inch with 6 inch vertical travel.  

Good choice IMO.  4 inch setback is not enough for a Redfisher unless you go with the Atlas Micro Jacker.

1 hour ago, rdupre said:

By the way...went to put some break-in hours on my motor today but stopped to fish a few places.  Caught 6 reds on a gold spoon.  My wife had a blast.  She loves the boat too!!

Awesome!

10 hours ago, rdupre said:

Ran it today and hole shot is not good.  

Currently have a 3 blade 21 pitch Power Tech PTR 3R21PYM90

top end at 6000 RPM is 50mph but having to use trim tabs to keep it from bouncing.

working with Marcus at Power Texh and motor installer and I have confidence they’ll get it dialed in.

current thinking is to stay with same prop but drop to 19 or 17 pitch .

i’ll keep you updated.

love the 115 sho.

Just some thoughts, for what it's worth...  Lurem and I both tried the PTR3 on our RF 16s with 115s and it was not a good fit.  If you want to stay with a 3-blade, ask Marcus about the new PRO3 that has been in development for a while now.  Not sure if it has been officially released.  Another Powertech prop I always wanted to try was the NRS3 in 19 pitch or maybe even 18 pitch.  The 115 SHO likes a prop that will reach 6300 to 6400 RPM at WOT, aired out - and without vent ports drilled in it.  You will be impressed with the difference in speed and fuel economy.  Your prop slip numbers should be at 6% or less with your setup.  Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, geeviam said:

Just some thoughts, for what it's worth...  Lurem and I both tried the PTR3 on our RF 16s with 115s and it was not a good fit.  If you want to stay with a 3-blade, ask Marcus about the new PRO3 that has been in development for a while now.  Not sure if it has been officially released.  Another Powertech prop I always wanted to try was the NRS3 in 19 pitch or maybe even 18 pitch.  The 115 SHO likes a prop that will reach 6300 to 6400 RPM at WOT, aired out - and without vent ports drilled in it.  You will be impressed with the difference in speed and fuel economy.  Your prop slip numbers should be at 6% or less with your setup.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information!  I really appreciate that. I’m not tied to a 3 bladed prop.  I’ll talk with Marcus.

So what prop model are you and Lurem using please? 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Deere Dan said:

Hello, what prop did you end up with?  I have a 115 SHO on order now for my 2004 RF16 and would appreciate the advice.  Have you been happy with the performance? 

Thank you,

Dan

Ended up with the PTR3, 17 pitch Power Tech.  Hole shot is good (not great but acceptable) and mid-range acceleration is great and top end is about 45 mph with full fishing gear and 2 people.  overall I'm pleased.  My issue right now (and I think it's more operator than set-up) is learning how to take tight turns without prop blow out.  Marcus has been very helpful and patient with my questions.  Let me know how your repower goes and what prop you wind up with.

Thinking about trying the NRS3 17 pitch.  It is 13.25 inch wheel compared to the 13.5 inch PTR3. 

You have a jack plate?

2 hours ago, rdupre said:

mid-range acceleration is great and top end is about 45 mph with full fishing gear and 2 people.

WOT RPM?

You can check your prop slip data here: Prop Slip Calculator  Curious to know what you come up with.

2 hours ago, rdupre said:

My issue right now (and I think it's more operator than set-up) is learning how to take tight turns without prop blow out

Things to try:  Always drop the JP atw down, with motor tilt/trim atw down, going into tight turns.  You might need more aggressive cupping added to the prop, for better grip (or a different prop - 4 blade?).  Sometimes, a negative trim wedge added between the motor and JP helps with grip problems in turns.

11 hours ago, geeviam said:

WOT RPM?

You can check your prop slip data here: Prop Slip Calculator  Curious to know what you come up with.

Things to try:  Always drop the JP atw down, with motor tilt/trim atw down, going into tight turns.  You might need more aggressive cupping added to the prop, for better grip (or a different prop - 4 blade?).  Sometimes, a negative trim wedge added between the motor and JP helps with grip problems in turns.

WOT RPM is 6200.  I am doing all those things you mention.  Marcus at PowerTech is not a fan of more cup in this situation and suggested trying the NRS3 17pitch before we do anything else (like 4 blade).  Marcus said bring tabs all the way up as well, and I'm doing that too.  The boat is fantasic in "non-tight" turns with no pull back on the throttle at all.  In tight turns how should I be reducing speed?  I know my goal is to get the transom down to allow prop to not get air.  Or is it?  What's your suggested options.  Marcus (in as gentle a way as possible), is saying I need to learn how to drive a boat in tight turns.  LOL.  

I'm calculating gear ratio at 2.2 (6200 rpm and 17 pitch) and Theo Speed at 45.368 and slip at a little less than 1%....and I know that's practically impossible, so I'm going to need to get better numbers (RPM and speed) as they describe in the "how to" article.  I'll have to get back to you on that.

Archived