Re-power my 2006 Redfisher 16 ( with pics now)

rdupre

I'm getting ready to repower my 2006 Redfisher 16.  I have a 2005 4-stroke Yamaha 90.  Nothing wrong with it but I want to power up to 115 HP with the newer 115s becoming lighter with the new generation of Mercs, Yamaha, etc.

I was thinking about the new Yamaha SHO 115 but recently was reading about the new Mercury 115 XS 4-stroke.  It seems to be about 18 pounds lighter than the Yamaha (377 vs 359)...if I can believe the literature from both companies?  

Any Refisher 16 owners with boats in my year range repower them with 115 HP options?  If so, tell me what you think. 

One other thing is I'm going to add a power pole at the same time I repower.  Does that extra weight on the stern of the boat create any issues I need to be concerned about?

Thanks,

Roger

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

How are you coming on your repower? I would like to hear your thoughts on Yamaha to Mercury comparison and of its not to personal, the justification on cost of the motor on your older hull. 

I have a 2007 hull and am trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing the same thing and have been for over a year. I have asked several forum members privately the same questions to get outside thoughts and ideas and will post them in this comment.

The Yamaha seems to be a little more technically advanced, needs to have the valve adjusted during services and has a smaller displacement, whereas the Mercury does not need valve adjustments ever,  larger displacement,  multiple gear ratios to choose from when purchasing,  and is 1k less in price (online pricing only). If you go with the Merc you would have to get new controls and gauges but I have no idea how much that would cost (say that eats up the 1k difference so now the price is the same}.

Which one has the better warranty and best dealer support in your area? When you decide on which on you want then I would wait for the times when they offer extended warranties for free or more rebate money to get the most bang for your buck.

What about your old motor, are you going to trade it or sell it outright? Is your selling dealer willing to work with you and help as a trade or consign it for you?

Lastly, do you like your boat enough to spend 10k on the upgrade because it may not be worth an extra 10K (cost of motor) after the upgrade? could you sell your whole boat and move into something better suited for you? Say sell yours for $15-20k add the 10K for the motor upgrade and spend $25-30K on something better?

• 1 month later...

Mates over here recently repowered there 16 Bonefisher with a 115Pro XS and it is so quiet, fast through all the ranges and light. I was looking to put one on my 2005 Redfisher 16 to replace my E-Tec 150 HO but now a 150 pro XS is coming to Australia mid year I will wait for it as it will suit me better.

E2794373-9A00-4F9D-9A69-BAFF3E73DE95.jpeg

On 2/13/2018 at 6:42 AM, lurem said:

Lastly, do you like your boat enough to spend 10k on the upgrade because it may not be worth an extra 10K (cost of motor) after the upgrade? could you sell your whole boat and move into something better suited for you? Say sell yours for $15-20k add the 10K for the motor upgrade and spend $25-30K on something better?

That boat you upgrade to for $25-30K most likely won't have a brand new motor. And you will probably have to spend more money on the upgraded boat to get it the way you want it.

7 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Id check if your dealer can even get a 115 sho. Even then id get the lightest motor available. They don't like weight in the back

Dealer can get a sho.   The new show is about the same weight as my 2005 90hp 4stroke so I think I’m good.  

Little chief,  I think you are right.  

Ive run the numbers a number of times and I think my best option is repower.  My 16 red Fisher is in great shape and perfect for the marshes of Houma, Louisiana.  It’ll probably be the last boat I own based on my current age.   Net cost out my pocket will be about $6,000 after sale of my current motor.   

On 1/17/2018 at 12:25 PM, rdupre said:

I'm getting ready to repower my 2006 Redfisher 16.  I have a 2005 4-stroke Yamaha 90.  Nothing wrong with it but I want to power up to 115 HP with the newer 115s becoming lighter with the new generation of Mercs, Yamaha, etc.

I was thinking about the new Yamaha SHO 115 but recently was reading about the new Mercury 115 XS 4-stroke.  It seems to be about 18 pounds lighter than the Yamaha (577 vs 559)...if I can believe the literature from both companies?  

Any Refisher 16 owners with boats in my year range repower them with 115 HP options?  If so, tell me what you think. 

One other thing is I'm going to add a power pole at the same time I repower.  Does that extra weight on the stern of the boat create any issues I need to be concerned about?

Thanks,

Roger

You sure you looked at the right chart.  The 115 should only weight around 360 pounds.

Just a thought to consider if you have a Suzuki dealer near you. Best warranty, proven reliability for less. 

Suzuki says its DF140 has the best power-to-weight ratio of any 4-stroke in its class. It pumps out 140 horses, yet weighs just 410 pounds ready to rig. That's lighter than a competitive 130 4-stroke and even a 2-stroke 135!

23 minutes ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Just a thought to consider if you have a Suzuki dealer near you. Best warranty, proven reliability for less. 

Suzuki says its DF140 has the best power-to-weight ratio of any 4-stroke in its class. It pumps out 140 horses, yet weighs just 410 pounds ready to rig. That's lighter than a competitive 130 4-stroke and even a 2-stroke 135!

That is an awesome power-to weight ratio, and a better idea than installing the heavier Merc 150.  The Evinrude E-TEC 135 H.O. weighs 418 pounds and would be a good second choice.  I've never heard a clear answer on whether or not you can insure a boat if you go above the max HP rating.  According to the following horsepower calculations, a late model Redfisher 16 could be insured, with up to 145 HP.  Note: Just something I found on the internet - not sure of the validity!

Maximum amount of H.P. your boat can be insured for

3 hours ago, geeviam said:

That is an awesome power-to weight ratio, and a better idea than installing the heavier Merc 150.  The Evinrude E-TEC 135 H.O. weighs 418 pounds and would be a good second choice.  I've never heard a clear answer on whether or not you can insure a boat if you go above the max HP rating.  According to the following horsepower calculations, a late model Redfisher 16 could be insured, with up to 145 HP.  Note: Just something I found on the internet - not sure of the validity!

For me it's only Yamaha or Suzuki. From what I've seen if the boat is 20'+ you put whatever you want on it. I would think in this case you would definitely need to stay with the max HP rating. I was just talking to a boat builder yesterday who has a customer who has blown 2 E-Tec 250HP in the last 3 years. I like the concept of the E-Tec technology, but it's not for me at this point.  I'm in SW Florida which is highly Yamaha based. However, Suzuki is coming on strong down here. 

Now that Mercury is not making anymore 2 strokes, many are going to have to decide to stay with a Merc 4 stroke or move to another brand. 

14 hours ago, geeviam said:

I’ll stick to 115hp for my repower.  Appreciate the info though.  

22 hours ago, geeviam said:

The VF115 SHO has turned out to be the right choice for power on my RF 16.  Still, some days I wonder how the boat would run with a new Mercury 150 Pro XS 4-stroke.  It's only 79 LBS. heavier!

79 lbs more seems like a lot for a 16.5 foot boat.  

So tell me about the performance of the 115 sho on your RF 16?  And what year is your red fisher?

3 hours ago, rdupre said:

79 lbs more seems like a lot for a 16.5 foot boat.  

So tell me about the performance of the 115 sho on your RF 16?  And what year is your red fisher?

You're right... 79 LBS. more on the back of a Redfisher 16 would weigh down the stern quite a bit.  That remark was more punk, than practical - just thinking it would be cool to break the 60 mph barrier in a RF 16 (and maybe top Dabear's RF 16 speed records from when he had a Racing-Tuned V4 Yamaha on his boat, LOL!).  The 115 SHO is more than enough muscle for my 2017 RF 16, yet averages 7+ mpg at a 30 mph cruise.  With a Merc Spitfire X7 13 x 17p prop, hole-shot and acceleration are outstanding and top speed is 49 mph.  With a Yamaha Talon SS 13 1/8 x 19p 3-blade prop, top speed is 52 mph.  The 115 SHO is a smooth operator.  I am happy with it.

20 hours ago, geeviam said:

You're right... 79 LBS. more on the back of a Redfisher 16 would weigh down the stern quite a bit.  That remark was more punk, than practical - just thinking it would be cool to break the 60 mph barrier in a RF 16 (and maybe top Dabear's RF 16 speed records from when he had a Racing-Tuned V4 Yamaha on his boat, LOL!).  The 115 SHO is more than enough muscle for my 2017 RF 16, yet averages 7+ mpg at a 30 mph cruise.  With a Merc Spitfire X7 13 x 17p prop, hole-shot and acceleration are outstanding and top speed is 49 mph.  With a Yamaha Talon SS 13 1/8 x 19p 3-blade prop, top speed is 52 mph.  The 115 SHO is a smooth operator.  I am happy with it.

Thanks for the update.  I would be thrilled with 49mph in my 2006 RF 16.  LOL.  I've always felt the RF16 needed more power and now that the weight has come down for the 115 class engines the time is right for me to upgrade.  

• 1 month later...

Update.....

I’m excited to share the news that I’m getting much more than a new motor on my 2006 RF16....

1. Yami SHO 115 and new prop

2. Seadek on all deck surfaces ( gray and blue) and under gunnel

3. Hydraulic jack plate

4. Lowering boat on trailer and new trailer boards and carpet

5. 8 ft power pole Blade

Should be complete by mid June.   Can’t wait to show pics when it’s done!!!

On 5/17/2018 at 4:00 PM, rdupre said:

Update.....

I’m excited to share the news that I’m getting much more than a new motor on my 2006 RF16....

Awesome!  Thanks for the update Roger.  That'll be a super setup when it's finished.  Looking forward to the pics, and your review of the SHO.  I have no doubt, you will be very pleased with the new motor!

Note of advice:  Read the VF115 SHO manual, cover to cover before you run it.  Follow the break-in procedure - by the book - but don't baby it or idle for long periods.  Do that, and it won't burn or "make" a drop of oil.  The oil level on mine never changes and it starts up instantly on the first try, even when it hasn't been run for a month.

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Awesome!  Thanks for the update Roger.  That'll be a super setup when it's finished.  Looking forward to the pics, and your review of the SHO.  I have no doubt, you will be very pleased with the new motor!

Note of advice:  Read the VF115 SHO manual, cover to cover before you run it.  Follow the break-in procedure - by the book - but don't baby it or idle for long periods.  Do that, and it won't burn or "make" a drop of oil.  The oil level on mine never changes and it starts up instantly on the first try, even when it hasn't been run for a month.

Thanks for advice!  I will definitely make sure I follow the break-in procedure.   I will post pictures as soon as it is complete.  I can't wait.

• 1 month later...

Archived