Lbs Test Leader - 20,30,40 ?

Wanaflatsfish

Working on a garage project...so, no fishing time till Feb or March.......so, been doing stuff to the skiff and maintenance on the rods and tackle....mostly throwing out stuff....

Was a WM and found a good deal on a clearance......Just spooled up my St. Croix's Avids Inshore (new ones from ICAST are light green - they are $$$ but, light and you can cast them all day)  and the Shimano Sustains with 10lb 832 Suffix...WM had 50% off this weekend.  Moved from 20 lb as I feel I can get more distance casting as I want to fish more Artificial vs. Pop'n corks  - but, they will be my go to :).

Just curious, what's everyone using for leader....these will be used for artificial...and jigging...

I have my Penn Battles and St. Croix's  (Grey) Avids rigged with 20 lb 832 Suffix with pop'n corks and jigs and normally use 40 lb Flouro as I find I'm in the oyster bars and along the shore a good bit....

For standard artificials, curious to what is everyone using and for what are you targeting.....???

DC

Almost always 25 lb floro seagar. 30 lb if I can get away with it but most of the time the water is just too clear.

Big difference in diameter between 25 and 30. Light leader is also easier for bait to drag around and look natural.

Yes, sometimes a big snook will wear through the 25 lb. But you have to get the bite before you have to worry about that.:D

For arties I use 30lb, I feel  since Im moving bait pretty quick(swim bait) the fish really don't see the leader anyway. Live bait, if the water is clear Ill go to 20lb, murky water 30lb. Troy prolly has it just right at 25lb, makes life easier to split it right down the middle. Also I only use Seagar, its pricey but it seems to be the most durable. 

Great info...thanks for all the ideas...seems I've been using a bit too much leader....I always use Yozuri pink...mostly 40...but, will move down now to 20-30 for my parties...

Keep it coming...it's interesting to see how everyone fishes....

I normally follow Conocean's recommendations for Choko as he's got a lot more TOW - Time on Water in the fishery than me...

dc

River reds, trout, smaller Snook..4,10,20lb braid with 15 or 20 flouro 15-20 leader on topwater, 15-20 on jigs with paddletails. 2500,3000,4000 size reels.   Nearshore I’ll up the leader to 20-30lbs.   No oyster bars here, just mangrove trees and docks.   Since it’s that time of year for Shad run, Sunshine bass & some freshwater there I use mostly 8 lb leader.

I was long time user of the Pink Yozuri, its very soft and effective. However in the past few years I have switched to Seagur, and found it to be as effective and much more abrasion resistant.  I believe the softness of the Yozuri allows the line to chaff and break much easier. The Seagur is much more ridged, it makes it a little tougher to tie, but it also makes much more resistant to chaffing.

Archived