Dry boat bag or box for important items??

VS-MasterAngler

Hey Guy's,

Just curious as to what type of dry bag or box everyone is using to keep important papers (registration etc.) and cell phones dry, while on the boat.

I have an 18.5 Maverick MA, it's a dry boat and I haven't had any problems with my stuff getting wet... yet and I'm just using a gallon ziplock but I feel like I should upgrade to something that will last more long term.

Let me know what you guy's use!

32 minutes ago, dcathey said:

I like the Plano clear dry boxes that west marine sells. I think Walmart has them too.

Yep, the ones which have the two side and one center snaps....I have the large one....

I keep my papers, extra set of keys, extra kill switch, extra fuses, hand held ICOM, and a few misc things like matches for a smoke, etc.

Sits inside the console on the floor.....

DC

I use those Plano dry box boxes for all of my tackle!  I guess you could say the tackle is important.  Lost way too many hooks due to saltwater hitting them and corroding the entire pack so now I put everything in a dry box.  I also have a small Pelican case that is used for my keys, cell, wallet, kept in the console for easy access.  Pelican case for the camera.  I keep a ditch/boat bag (Patagonia black hole bag)for all the documents, some safety items, rain coat, maps, sunscreen, etc.  Most everything is in a box or a bag making it easy to load in or removed from the boat in a matter of minutes for a thorough wash down.  I typically don't forget something as much now if I know all the bags/boxes (6 in total) are in the boat!

I use a Pelican for cameras and phones. Use some smaller pelicans with clear cover for license and boat docs/reg. Also use some plano boxes. Have a 1460? With clear cover that I store ipilot remote, vhf mic/control, backup gps and plb in. Have another plano (orange) that i store misc items that need to be dry (first aid, batteries in vac seal, cell phone booster, glock, etc). Have about 4 orange boxes. They are small and easy to get in tight hatches.  I also store some items in the Flambeau Zerust tackle boxes. I took off in the pathy and forgot to shutoff the valve to the livewell pump in the release well. Had all of my dry gear items in it. Only items that got wet, and every box was submerged in the release well, were the standard plano tackle boxes. The pelicans and watertight planos were bone dry. And to my surprise, the Flambeau Zerust Ultimate Tuff Tainer 5012 which held some buffs, buff gloves and some bug head nets, were bone dry as well. There was water coming out of the top of the hatch. When I opened the hatch some of the boxes tried to float out. So the pelican, plano dry boxes and the tuff tainers are all pretty water tight. They were only submerged for for 15 minutes or less but that was ebough time to let some water in if they were not tight. I also have a few of those fold up dry bags for paper towels and TP that stay in a rod box. 

9BFD1B2A-1E36-45E1-92F4-E9632CBF5047.jpeg

For my keys, cell phone etc I use a dry bag.  Been using it for many years. I sling it around a rod holder on the side of my console.  Dry as a bone and floats.  For registration, flares, and first aid kit I use a pelican case under my seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Surfun-Waterproof-Shoulder-Kayaking-Swimming/dp/B00ZOR1904/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516102231&sr=8-20-spons&keywords=10l%2Bdry%2Bbag&psc=1&th=1

Archived