Mercury Verado

Vapor Trail

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, fsusteve said:

Yamaha silver

Would match great, you will just have to wait until 2019 to take your boat out! Order a new Yamaha now and youre lucky if it will arrive before Christmas. They are going to offer white from factory as well

OP, we have warm and cold fusion verados here and its a very small difference. Cold is a very bright white and matches moreso with white powdercoating, whereas warm fusion is more like gelcoat and has an eggshell/soft white look. Honestly after the first week you wont notice any difference. Find a local dealer who has them rigged on boats and go take a look. I cant imagine a local dealer not having at least 1

I live in Kentucky, there are no white Verados here or Pathfinders to look at.  I'm going to MBS but I'm not going to be able to carry a Verado from one booth to the other and compare.  Neither company has the sample to hold either.  The white that Pathfinder paints the Yamahas don't match at all. 

This Yamaha doesn't match? Like I said, I'm looking at both side by side right now. The cold fusion is more likely to match the powerpoles and is a bright white, whereas warm fusion has more of an off white gelcoat look. Here is a pathfinder with cold fusion verado. If you are going to MIBS odds are you will have warm and cold fusions near each other, but cold fusion is definitely a higher seller

6551091_0_311219691600_1.jpg

IMG_2116.JPG.c9d7b403a1e9c812998d257018716411.jpg

Thanks linesider, that Yamaha does match well.   I was going by pictures I’d seen and someone else said on The Hull Truth forum that they didn’t like the version of white so they got the gray and were going to have it done aftermarket.   Doesn’t matter much because I’m not going with Yamaha.  Thank you 

MBG calls it pure white but it is far from pure white. It has a slight almond tint to it. In certain lighting conditions it looks much whiter than other times. I had some accessories powder coated by a local shop and they matched the gel coat color perfectly which matched the powder coating done at factory. If you want it to match exactly order standard motor and get it custom painted at a local shop. Get a pint of gel coat from MBG for the shop to match.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, fsusteve said:

You can have them custom color matched, it was around $3k a motor a few years ago.

Ouch! $3k is a lot of $$ for paint.  Since the Yamaha is all painted, trim, lower, ect, I can see that.  On the Mercury the only parts that are different colors are the bolt on covers which should be easy to paint thus cheaper.  I would think if you want an exact match you might have to get it custom painted.

I want a 350 but not the Yamaha that requires a new fly wheel every so often, this is the reason for the Mercury.  Surely one of the three white options would be fine.  I was just hoping someone on here had some experience with this or a picture of a Pathfinder with a Warm Fusion motor on it.

9 hours ago, Vapor Trail said:

Yes, they said the powdercoat and gel coat don’t vary.   Maybe it doesn’t.  Does  it look like that in the two pictures I just posted? 

The same color white will look different in pictures...too many lighting and exposure variables, gotta see it in person.

Not sure if its true, but i heard Yamaha will perform a scheduled preventative flywheel replacement, free for life - not bad if true. Get the big block:)

I have to say I am glad someone is looking at Mercury.  It was a bold move by MBG to allow the customer to pick their power.  As far as engines go, the Verado 350 will be lighter than the Yamaha 350.  This is important if you are beach fishing with swells as well as overall balance of the boat.  Mercury Verado is also made in the USA, which is important for me.

Now my $0.02

I had a VMAX 250 HPDI on my 21 Maverick.  Have to say it was the worst engine I have ever owned.  It was constantly in the shop for one reason or another.  It got to the point where it simply would not run smoothly between 3600-3800 RPM's.

When I got my 1993 MA 18 it had a Optimax on it.  I think it was a late 90's engine, definitely the first Optimax generation, and boy it earned the name Opti-pop.  Was running the back way from Florida bay back to Goodland and it Pop'd.  Thank god for sat phones is all I have to say.  Anyhow, I bought a non current Optimax 150 (2007) to replace it in 2009.  That optimax was the best engine I have ever owned.  When I choose to get another boat, I will only buy a Mercury product.  I have heard only wonderful things about the Mercury 150 4 stroke and am excited to see what Mercury has at the MBS.

As for color, I would buy the bright white since it will be the closet match to your power pole and the powered coat.

None of the whites are an exact match.  As for the Mercury, the few we have done have most all been the cold fusion white.  Yes we do offer the option of painting the Yamaha's here and yes it is expensive.  We use the local airplane paint shop as does Pursuit, they do a great job but they charge for it.  You can have an engine painted in Miami for about $700 but you end up with a $700 paint job...

Skip

I’ll figure that part out, maybe Yamaha will have new offerings at MIBS.   Skip, what I’m wondering now, like in the two pictures above,  is if someone orders a white upholstery and blue boat is the powder coat and gel coat the same as if they ordered the wheat colored upholstery and boat? 

31 minutes ago, Vapor Trail said:

I’ll figure that part out, maybe Yamaha will have new offerings at MIBS.   Skip, what I’m wondering now, like in the two pictures above,  is if someone orders a white upholstery and blue boat is the powder coat and gel coat the same as if they ordered the wheat colored upholstery and boat? 

Yes, the Powder Coat and the White Gelcoat do not change.

Skip

Ashland,  We pull the kids on tubes around here on lakes, fish for tarpon in the keys for 10 days a year and fish the mullet run of Ponce inlet in the fall.  Everyone around here has bow riders.  I'd rather not own a boat than have one of those and a straight fishing boat is a waste of money to be used three weeks a year so I'm getting a 2600 TRS.  I'm super particular about these things so I want everything to be perfect.

Archived