50 F water temp in South Georgia

fishmanjj

Had cabin fever, ... so, I went out last week just to run the engine a little...feel the breeze....smell the salt air. My wife and I ended up walking the beach on one of the barrier Islands, and finding a few shark teeth....could not believe the water temp 50.6 F !!  That is not good news for our trout population....hopefully these warmer temps this week have brought the temp up some and the trout survived that very cold week we had here in South Georgia. 

Here is a pic of the battle wagon....

IMG_1788.PNG

I spoke with the Coastal Resources Division yesterday.   They reported no confirmed trout kills......only a few unconfirmed, third hand reports.  He did say some personnel did a trawl survey for another project this week, and caught some 4 and 5 inch trout, which is a very good sign if trout that small survived the cold water!   The CRD has implanted Operation ROE, a voluntary program of “release over eighteen,” meaning please release all trout over 18,” since they are exponentially greater spawners.

Good info JEM ! 

15 hours ago, dcathey said:

Fishmanjj, how far north are you? I’m in SSI, haven’t had a chance to get out but I wonder if we are that cold down here

We are in Savannah....my son lives in SSI and he said he heard water temps at 47 F the week we had the ice and snow in Sav. I had a friend that fishes Sunbury area tell me today that he was in Medway River and water was at 53F on yesterday. 

I talked to my buddy Paul Medders with the DNR CRD in Brunswick last Friday. He said there are no confirmed reports of fish kills yet. This is good news so far, but I'm afraid if the temps keep dropping like they have been, we're gonna have some dead trout. I did hear a secondhand report of a bunch of croaker or yellowtails floating up in the Ogeechee. Our local club had a tourney this past weekend and the guys caught a few nice trout Saturday and a limit of reds.

Archived