Looking for a closer Fl. vacation

Sunstone

I live in Maryland and usually vacation in the keys once a year.  My wife hates the drive so I'm thinking about something a little closer.  I like inshore fishing the most and have a 23 Pathfinder.  Thinking about going in March or April.  Need  to take a break from here lost our daughter right before Christmas in a car accident.   

So sorry to hear about your loss. It's hard to beat anywhere along the Indian River Lagoon that time of year from Cocoa Beach down to Stuart. Huge gator trout, snook and redfish can be found just about anywhere along the IRL along with your choice of 3 very fishable inlets; Sebastian, Ft. Pierce and St Lucie. Where ever you decide to go, have fun!

Im so sorry for your loss.

I would look to the west coast in the spring, the east coast can be a bit windy. Anna Maria Island, just south of Tampa is nice and you have easy access to fishing Tampa Bay. Or a bit farther south somewhere with good access to Charlotte Harbor. If you really wanna get away, check out Little Gasparilla Island in Placida, Fl. No bridges to the island, so no cars. Only way to get there is by boat, lots of rental houses and you take your boat and tie up.

Sunstone - I am so sorry for your loss.  We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

I agree with Hurricane - West coast has some great opportunities in the summer and generally light winds.  Having said that, if you haven't already considered it, you may want to explore a trip on the Pamlico - an easy drive for you and plenty of opportunties to catch Bull Drum on topwater, fly, etc, tons of flounder around, and an epic area.   Richard Andrews (TarPam) is a top notch guide and runs a 22 Pathy.   Hire him for a day or two at the beginning of your vacation and he'll teach you everything you need to know to keep your rod bowed the rest of the trip.   Rentals on the Pamlico are reasonable and the water is endless so you won't get bored.  The Bath Creek area would be a pretty central area to look at.

Just a thought.  

On 1/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, Sunstone said:

I live in Maryland and usually vacation in the keys once a year.  My wife hates the drive so I'm thinking about something a little closer.  I like inshore fishing the most and have a 23 Pathfinder.  Thinking about going in March or April.  Need  to take a break from here lost our daughter right before Christmas in a car accident.   

Leave the boat and enjoy the lower range of Florida...

March and April are great times in Chokoloske, Flamingo and the 10K's and the upper keys

You can base out of FLL and drive to Flamingo or Choko to meet a guide for the day....fish a couple of days in each area....or, then hook up for some bonefish or Permit in Biscayne bay ....all while staying in South Florida and enjoying the vacation ammentiies.

If you want to go to the "lagoon"...you are only 2 + hrs drive to the north...

Finally, you could get a day in the Everglades for bass fishing as well....

By the time you drag down a big boat from Maryland and with all that's involved....could be an easier alternative.

If interested, there are many of us on the forum who can recommend guides...

dc

I live in Naples in the winter and the weather is hard to beat as well as the fishing and most important for your wife are  tons of non fishing things to do within Collier county.  Go on line and check out what is going on in Naples.  

I fish mostly in the ten thousand islands park,which is a huge area with all sorts of opportunities to fish for snook,reds,trout, spring tarpon.

My heart goes out to you, I have been there .

Thanks for the kind words about my daughter, hardest thing I've ever lived through. She was 41 and another women crossed the center line killing them both. They say time heals all wounds but I'm not so sure.

Looking at the suggestions most are only 3 to 5 hours less driving time then Islamorada.  Think I'll go the extra miles unless the fishing is better.  Someone mentioned leaving the boat that's not going to happen.  That's the only reason I go to Florida to fish.  My wife just likes to sit by the pool and read and sometimes take a boat ride.  Pamlico sounds like something to try a little latter in the year. Thanks again, Terry  

27 minutes ago, Sunstone said:

Think I'll go the extra miles unless the fishing is better.  Someone mentioned leaving the boat that's not going to happen.  That's the only reason I go to Florida to fish. 

Great time to be in the keys......bring the boat if you'd like to be your own captain......from your profile you have a 2300 hps great boat for both inshore and offshore...

Check the hotels closely in the keys....but, Islamorda was not as hit as much as the lower area between Keywest and Marathon....

Check all the hotels for dock and ramp conditions.....

And the runs from Islamorda to Flamingo is scattered with trees etc in the water....gotta pay attention....but, doable....

Offshore should be able to get maybe some early dolphin in April and early tails on the inner reefs..

Have fun....

dc

Archived