Transducer question?

blackacre

Upgraded my electronics and I am debating what transducer I will install. For those of you that have installed the Simrad/Lowrance Totalscan transducer,  have you seen any benefit when flats fishing with the side scanning and structure scanning capabilities?

When fishing for reds, trout or even tarpon I currently have no reliance at all on my bottom machine other than to tell me how deep I am. So if your always fishing shallow, should you go with side scan sonar or just a basic transducer? 

41 minutes ago, blackacre said:

Upgraded my electronics and I am debating what transducer I will install. For those of you that have installed the Simrad/Lowrance Totalscan transducer,  have you seen any benefit when flats fishing with the side scanning and structure scanning capabilities?

When fishing for reds, trout or even tarpon I currently have no reliance at all on my bottom machine other than to tell me how deep I am. So if your always fishing shallow, should you go with side scan sonar or just a basic transducer? 

I removed the StructureScan HD / side scan transducer that came with my lowrance HDS touch because it didnt help me with the shallow water type fishing I do plus it was very large .  I have the old style hockey puck type transducer that I have epoxied to the inside of my hull. Nothing screwed to the outside of the hull spraying water . The long structurescan HD transducer may have advantages to someone that uses the fish finder a lot but was not useful to me . My lowrance is used every trip for GPS speed and water temps , and use GPS when out of town . But for the type of shallow water fishing I do most of the time I was not using the side scan feature. 

I have (Had) the LSS2 transducer on my Pathfinder 22. As stated (Had) It came in very handy for deeper water in the bay while scanning structure. But I fish inside shallow quite a bit and discovered yesterday mine was half tore off in 3 pieces . I was in a skinny spot and got the boat hung up on a shallow a while back and I guess thats when it happened. So to answer your question total scan is not needed especially if you can see bottom from above. I am currently looking for a replacement LSS2 if anyone knows where to get one pretty cheap.

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Never had a side scan or total scan, but I can't imagine how it would benefit in shallow water. I've often wondered if those with side scan technology actually caught more fish?????

Maybe Fishuntr will chime in, he has about mastered the use of his sidescan and what not, predominately for inshore fishing but also for offshore, he consistently uses his to find fish.

When I put a fancy Garmin GPS plotter/sounder on my Pathfinder, I didn’t use the transom mount transducer that could see left, right, use x-rays and gamma rays that came in the box.  First, I knew it would be only time before I would break it off messing around in shallow water.  And two, I fish “known” shallow water drops whether I can “see” the drop or not.  And three, I don’t like the look of a black cable routed out of the motor well and snaked down the transom.  I installed an angled bronze thru hull transducer that will read the bottom at any speed and give me the water temperature.  I don’t think the fish in the cooler know whether they were “seen” by the Garmin or not!  LOL

I have 3d Structure scan. I use it constantly, it is great for finding fish near structure. I am always finding snook near mangroves (under) that I couldn't see. 

Using it in 3' or less is kinda useless, unless you are moving,then you get a vision, up to 40' to either side. I also use non3D to have a detailed side to side image.. And down scan too, to verify the chirp in more detail. 

Yes, I can now run WO and see the bottom, which I never could before MED chirp transducer. In deeper water they both are great.. I love the ability to pan the image to see fish surrounding structure.. and see the structure itself without needing the shadows to interpret it. 

I never really used sonar for inshore UNTIL I had structure scan.  Yes it is big and ugly but it is a great tool to have.  I like when out getting bait when the water is not clear or in the dark and also for cruising docks and around bridges.  I guess it all depends on how you fish. 

Archived