Ulterra Users - Take Note-Discconnect ALL POWER

Wanaflatsfish

The other day one of the forum members, JEM mentioned in a thread about disconnecting ALL power to an Ulterra, even after turning it off.

I sent a note to MK and asked why...here is the answer..thought I"d pass it along...it was something I was not aware of.....for me, it's not an issue as I normally trickle charge my TM batteries every week whether I'm fishing or not, but, to someone who doesn't or thinks his batteries are good after not using the TM for 2 months, could find a problem.

See below....

JEM- again, thank you....

DC

service@minnkotamotors service@minnkotamotors.com via johnsonoutdoors.com 

9:22 AM (18 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Hello,

The main control board will draw amperage off your deep cycle batteries when the motor is plugged in and even when it is powered off. If you leave it plugged in for a few weeks as a example your batteries may be low. It is recommend to have some type of quick disconnect rigged up so the motor is completely disconnected from power when not in use.

Thank you,

Eric

--Original Message--
Date: 1/9/2018 1:18:12 AM
To: service@minnkotamotors.com
Subject: Minn Kota Contact Us Form Submission

*EXTERNAL EMAIL* 

Data from form "Contact Us" was received on 1/9/2018 1:17:50 AM.

Contact information.

Field Value
FirstName Dino
LastName Cardelli
EmailAddress  
StreetAddress  
City Plantation
State FLA
Zip 33317
Phone  
Model Bow-Mount - Ulterra
Serial Number  
Opt-in yes
Subject Troubleshooting
Comments

I recently read that the Ulterra should be disconnected from the batteries when not in use.  I normally turn it off, but, do not disconnect.

Why is this necessary to physically disconnect or trip the breaker switch ?

Regards

Dino Cardelli
thank you.....
Safe harbor Agreement true
Brand MinnKota
SourceType ContactUsNew
protocol yes

Email "Minn Kota Contact Us Form Submission" originally sent to service@minnkotamotors.com from dino.cardelli@gmail.com on 1/9/2018 1:17:50 AM.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Ridding_Dirty said:

This was an interesting find/read.

So is the quick solution to trip the breakers if you can't disconnect?

Thats what I have been doing for years I use my breaker as a on and off switch . As soon as I pull up to the dock brefore getting the truck I hit the breaker switch . The trolling motor is wired direct eliminates possible corrosion or connection problems at plug in connection . Joe R 

55 minutes ago, Ridding_Dirty said:

This was an interesting find/read.

So is the quick solution to trip the breakers if you can't disconnect?

Exactly what I do as soon as I crank up the big motor to head in.  I still try to remember to unplug my Battery Tender plug every few months to spray some Corrosion Block on it.

1 hour ago, JEM said:

Exactly what I do as soon as I crank up the big motor to head in.  I still try to remember to unplug my Battery Tender plug every few months to spray some Corrosion Block on it.

I dont use a battery tender. First thing when I get home after washing the boat and flushing the motor I charge both trolling motor batterys with a portable battery charger.  Only takes a few seconds to remove cables and clip charger leads to battery. Its old school but works great . I never let the batterys sit not fully charged , charge them up 100% as soon as possible and they last longer and are ready to go . Joe R 

1 minute ago, dabear said:

I dont use a battery tender. First thing when I get home after washing the boat and flushing the motor I charge both trolling motor batterys with a portable battery charger.  Only takes a few seconds to remove cables and clip charger leads to battery. Its old school but works great . I never let the batterys sit not fully charged , charge them up 100% as soon as possible and they last longer and are ready to go . Joe R 

Great advice to charge batteries ASAP, Joe!  The first thing I do when I get back to the dock is pull out the extension cord and plug in the Powermania charger.  I never let my batteries sit uncharged.  As far as the Batter Tender plug, I was talking about the trolling motor plug on the trolling motor power cable going into my anchor locker.    

Old school is......old school! Stealth AC/DC charger makes it so that you can do away with remembering to charge batteries when you get home. This system charges my batteries every time I run the big motor throughout my fishing day so they never run low. A 20-30 minute ride back to the ramp and all 3 of my batteries are fully charged. Batteries that are run low then charged time after time do not last as long as batteries that never run low and are constantly charging. Just something to consider in the future! 

33 minutes ago, conocean said:

Old school is......old school! Stealth AC/DC charger makes it so that you can do away with remembering to charge batteries when you get home. This system charges my batteries every time I run the big motor throughout my fishing day so they never run low. A 20-30 minute ride back to the ramp and all 3 of my batteries are fully charged. Batteries that are run low then charged time after time do not last as long as batteries that never run low and are constantly charging. Just something to consider in the future! 

X2......Bingo.........Winner, winner chicken dinner.

15 hours ago, Tarpon1215 said:

50 amp breakers(or larger)have always been a good safety idea on trolling motors!

Never have a trolling motor without the breaker. Always trip that breaker at the end of the day.

I have had to yank the main power cable out of the head of a trolling motor that was melting. I also saw what the side of my buddies house looked like when a connected trolling motor on the charger caught fire. Burned the boat and almost his house to the ground. Neither had breakers.

Archived