Pathfinder 22 - GPS Upgrade

fgator22

Hey Guys

I recently purchased a 2012 Pathfinder 22 TRS and it currently has the following electronics layout. The 5" GPS screen is a too small for me thus I have been intending to upgrade for about a year. For Christmas my wife gifted me the Garmin 94SV with transducer(purchased Black Friday for $700 during WM promotion). Based on the current electronics layout I would definitely have to order a panel to fit the new unit along with rearranging the existing Fusion and VHF. I was looking at order a Carbon Fiber panel from New wire if I followed thru with this route. 

Another option I have been mulling over in order to avoid purchasing the panel is to return the 94SV and purchasing a 1040xs. Based on the current measurements, the 1040xs would fit perfectly in the area of the current GPS/Fusion Radio. I would in turn move the Fusion radio to the lower panel adjacent to the trim tab switches. 

One last crazy idea is ordering 2- 840XS's based on the great pricingand order a panel to fit these units. 

So three options I am considering:

1. Stay with 94SV and order electronics panel
2. Order 1040XS in lieu of 94SV(no electronic panel)
3. 2 - 840XS with Electronic Panel

Any opinions and recommendations would be great. Boat is mainly used for Charlotte Harbor and a few offshore trips a year into the gulf.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

IMG_7352.JPG

I installed the 94sv when I purchased my 24trs.  I have enjoyed the unit and find the screen size to be more than adequate.  Now if I wanted simple and easy, then I would go with the 1040xs, and the larger screen is a bonus.  Done.  But I also like the two unit idea.  Reason being, I find myself running a split screen on my 94sv quite a bit.  With two 8" units,  I then would have a larger screen for each function,etc.  Im sure you have considered how you like to use your electronics, as I think this is a factor as well.

Jp

I went to 2, 740's on my pathfinder for the same split screen reason. As you get older the screens seem to get smaller. One is all depth finder and the other all gps. I like the redundancy. I was getting ready to upgrade and plan the same set up with maybe 1 Simrad and 1 garmin or 2 simrads so I can run the FMT chip but I am waiting to see what Garmin does with Navionics.

i felt that installing it in the dash was too low for viewing.  I decided to mount it on top of the console right in my sight view. works perfect for me and easy to see and use.  you can install your on top with just one screw each side just to test it and use the lowrance as just a depth finder or even a backup unit. 

Archived