Anyone build rods?

hurricane

Im considering building a rod, see how it goes and then maybe continue with a few more. I have some component questions, mostly just trying figure out what blanks compare to the rods Im used to. Looking a MHX blanks for now, they make it kinda easy to start with, but open to suggestion on other brands. I wanna start with 7'6" ML Fast action.  

I have basic gear already, hand wrapper, dryer, and some consumables. So im not starting from scratch, I have built a few rods in past as teenager, so I have the basics down. Im just trying to make sense of today's equipment. 

Can't go wrong with the MHX blank.  I got a few of them and really like them - both standard and HM.  Most important thing is the warranty on these blanks and mudhole is great to work with if you have any questions on the components.  Post up on their forum on what exactly your looking for and they will lead you in the right direction.  Kind of hard to pick a blank w/o putting it in your hands.

Few more worth looking at is the Rainshadow Revelation or RX7.  These things are indestructible.   Got a bunch of buddies on these blanks and they abuse 'em w/o fail.   Rainshadow has a good warranty too.

Another contender on the market are the CRC blanks from customrodcomponents.com.   Was in the shop the other day and really impressed with these blanks.  Haven't built on one yet; but will in the near future.  Cajun Custom Rods are built on these blanks.

Rodgeeks have a nice blank too.  Rodgeeks is St Croix's little sister.  Order direct.

I've been fishing with Lamiglas blanks for the past year and love them to death.  They seem to have a very limited selection for builders, but these blanks are bad to the bone for the price.  Order direct from Lamiglas and save a bundle.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  Things have expanded dramatically in the rod-building industry these past 5yrs. 

Thanks a ton, that's the kinda info Im looking for, I'ii check out the forum. As you said, the big issue at the starting point is what the blank feels like in your hand. I don't have a rod shop here to go in and handle the goods.  What I would like to build is rod similar to a St. Croix Avid, which is the SCIII blank. But do that on lower budget for the first rod in many many years. 

Im gonna check out the Rodgeeks and compare to St. Croix. Thanks again, and Im sure I will hit you up for more info. 

I have a rod built on a MHX, forgot the model, but it is close to an Avid.  The Avid is 7' compared to the MHX at 7'6" so not exactly apples to apples.  It is a good all around rod.  The two rods I always take with me are the MHX and Rainshadow.  The MHX I like slightly better for artificial as the tip is a little faster and the Rainshadow for live bait.  Both blanks can do it all pretty well.

I picked up the hobby earlier this year and have built probably 20 rods to date. All have been MHX blanks. I really like them a lot. Never had a problem with one so far. I like that they are light weight but very strong. They make a huge selection of blanks and I was overwhelmed at first. Mud Hole does a great job of dividing them into categories for the type of fishing you do, which makes for easy selection. If still not sure give them a call their customer service is very good. 

The blank I have is a P903.  To give a comparison it is very similar to the Loomis IMX.  I redid a buddy's Pxx IMX with the same guides as the MHX I built and they are very close feel and performance.  The spin/jig blank I think will be stiffer then the popping blanks.  The only reason I say that is I have Loomis IMX in a spin/jig and it is stiffer than my buddy's popping rod in the same length and line class.

9 hours ago, triplec said:

Have built just a few but use St. Croix. Used Mudhole in past but tend to favor Kevin for components these days over at get bit as I can ask them a lot of questions on the phone or email and get some good advice. http://www.getbitoutdoors.com

x2 on GetBit.  Great people and shipping is a lot better 

Thanks for all the info guys. I think the MHX spin/jig is the rod Im gonna start with, hoping to replicate the St. Croix Avid 7'6" ML. Not ready to spend the money on a St. Croix blank, and maybe I won't have to, if the numbers work the way I expect them to. 

I looked over Getbit, seems like a good place and customer service goes a long way. Mudhole's site is a bit easier for rookies, and right now they have free shipping for over $99. 

I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get started. Might be a little bit till I start, have some work travel coming up. 

Archived