Snook

Capt. Troy

I have grave concern for our snook population with this weeks weather. Very little sun, very cold windy temps and for a long duration. I pulled some weather archives and the scenario is very similar to the event in 2010. The membership needs to keep their ears to the ground for any fish kills as well as be on the look out for poachers. The snook will very vulnerable by the end of the week.:(

6 minutes ago, Nag Juice said:

I'm worried about the same thing in North Carolina. I've seen a dead tarpon already and a lot of big mullet dead from the cold. I hope the trout can tough it out before the commercial guys stab them while they're stunned.

I have a bad feeling after the this cold passes Trout will be closed for all in NC through next spring.

Will be watching in UTB for kills. Luckily most fish did okay here back when we had the freeze. Mostly catfish and ladyfish died, and the 2 years after was some of the best fishing ever. 

Whatever happens, nature will rebound, I just hope we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot opening snook season the past couple years. IMO it was too early

From 2001

During the first three days of the new year, overnight air temperatures remained in the mid to low 30s and daytime highs did not exceed 55° F. On the morning of January 5th, the air temperature at Palmetto dropped to 28° F and remained below freezing for about seven hours. The freeze dropped bay water temperatures to 49.1-50.2° F across Pinellas and Manatee Counties. Reports of stunned, dying, and dead snook began to come in.

I am scared for our Georgia trout too.  Yesterday, the water temp at the NOAA station at Ft. Pulaski at the mouth of the Savannah River was 50.7.  As I type this, it is 47.3.  We have 5 straight nights of lows predicted to be in the low to mid 20's, with highs in the lower 40's.  They say 45 degree water will kill a trout.  The trout I caught this past Saturday in a small (shallow) creek felt like ice to the touch.  It doesn't look good!!!!!!   Hopefully, a lot of trout will dive for deeper and warmer waters.

Edit:  Just checked at 10 am, Wednesday, and the water temp at Ft. Pulaski is 45.3 degrees.  NOT GOOD.    I am going to call the DNR Coastal Resources Div. later this week to find out what they know.   

Edit:  As of 2 pm today, Thursday, water temp at the NOAA station at Ft. Pulaski is 43.7 degrees.

Edit:  As of 9 am, Friday morning, water temp was 42.3 degrees.

I spoke with a biologist with the Coastal Resources Division this morning, and they had no reports of cold stun......yet.  They fully expect to have a fish kill, and expect to get reports after this weekend.   They would like to have pictures sent in if any are seen floating.   They are hopeful, that because this year was such an outstanding banner year for trout, that any fish kill won't be disastrous on the population for 2018.  He attributed the 2017 banner year, in part, on moving the minimum size limit up from 13" to 14." 

21 hours ago, JEM said:

I am scared for our Georgia trout too.  Yesterday, the water temp at the NOAA station at Ft. Pulaski at the mouth of the Savannah River was 50.7.  As I type this, it is 47.3.  We have 5 straight nights of lows predicted to be in the low to mid 20's, with highs in the lower 40's.  They say 45 degree water will kill a trout.  The trout I caught this past Saturday in a small (shallow) creek felt like ice to the touch.  It doesn't look good!!!!!!   Hopefully, a lot of trout will dive for deeper and warmer waters.

We are looking at high 20's in Fernandina Bch. and with my creek draining to almost nothing with each tide I know the remaining deep holes will be the spots of refuge.  I suffered through the snook kill when I lived in Stuart and it was not pretty. Hopefully all will survive. I do miss my snook since moving north.

23 minutes ago, mdemott said:

We are looking at high 20's in Fernandina Bch. and with my creek draining to almost nothing with each tide I know the remaining deep holes will be the spots of refuge. 

I suffered through the snook kill when I lived in Stuart and it was not pretty. Hopefully all will survive. I do miss my snook since moving north.

Me too.

4 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Didn't see any dead fish in upper bay today. Worst is tomorrow though. I didn't go on the flats since I was just testing some props

Your crazy for going out to begin with. I split some wood for the fire place and froze. Tomorrow morning is very concerning for the bay area. frost every where at my place this morning and that set my mind I was going to be cold all day no matter what. My fire place is rolling like I live in Montana.:P

Archived