2003 HPX/Bonefisher Trim Tab Screws

Hawaii

Does anyone know if the 2003 bonefisher/HPX has a backing plate for the trim tab mounting screws? I pulled mine off today and can't tell if there was original nut/bolt assembly or just heavy thread screws (both were in the wet holes). Thanks for the help and Happy New Year!

I don't know the exact answer, but I've owned and fixed up several old Mavericks...  It's not uncommon for them to have a combination of threaded screws and ones with nuts on the back side to hold something together... Every backing plate I've run into was external, so if you had one it would be visible...  I owned a Bonefisher back in the day, but I can't remember if you have access to the back side of the tabs or not...

On 12/31/2017 at 12:05 AM, Hawaii said:

Does anyone know if the 2003 bonefisher/HPX has a backing plate for the trim tab mounting screws? I pulled mine off today and can't tell if there was original nut/bolt assembly or just heavy thread screws (both were in the wet holes). Thanks for the help and Happy New Year!

I don't believe so....what you can do over drill slightly the hole, then fill them with Marine-Tex....it will dry hard and allow you to reattach the screws......the other option, in addition to the aforementioned, it to add some new hole in the Trim Tab plate and go in fresh....Id' be sure to use 5200 into all the holes and the back of the TT plate.....

be sure to clean everything up well with acetone and if you are seeing some water in your exit holes be sure to try and use a vacuum and *** out the water and allow a week or so for it to dry.....You can put a heat lamp to aid in the drying....just don't put it close....a fan would be another asset.....good luck in you repairs....some pics would help.

dc

Archived