Sign in to follow this  
captart

Repowering 2200V

I always go for the most hp. that I can hang on the transom within the builders limit. You may not use it all the time but if you need it to outrun a storm or respond to a emergency, it's nice to know you have it. Just upgraded my 20 bay boat from a 115 to a 150 and it is a big difference.

The factory has probably rigged more.150’s on the 2200V than any other motor.  But it made the boat more affordable!  That said, earlier this year, I repowered mine from an F150 to a 225 SHO, and my only regret was not doing it sooner!!!!!

On 12/31/2017 at 12:29 PM, JEM said:

The factory has probably rigged more.150’s on the 2200V than any other motor.  But it made the boat more affordable!  That said, earlier this year, I repowered mine from an F150 to a 225 SHO, and my only regret was not doing it sooner!!!!!

Agree. I did the same motor upgrade about 5 years ago. The 22 responded so much better to the 225 SHO. Backing, general maneuvering and of course, hole shot and top speeds all saw vast improvements. Fuel economy from the VZ 150 to the SHO 225 was almost the same. 

My F150 does everything I want it to.

Not a speed demon. It sips gas. Keeps the boat light weight in the  stern. It will run about 43 mph.

When the time comes .... its going to be a hard decision.

Bill

If you are happy with a 30-35 mph cruise while sipping fuel, the F150 is your motor.

If you run in a lot of flat water with lots of passengers, a SHO 250 is the way to go.

My 2013 2400 TRS has a VF250 SHO and it runs great. WOT is about 60 mph at 6000 rpm with light load.  Great hole shot as well.  Yamaha Pro Series 14-1/2" x 21" 3 blade (vented) prop is perfect. Hope this example helps.