Outfit Setup for SE Ga

dcathey

http://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-8-weight-9-fly-rod/4Y1E

http://www.orvis.com/p/hydros-sl-fly-reels/2fbt

We have a local fly shop that just opened up and Id like to support them and they carry Orvis gear and Ive got a little gift card money to burn from the inlaws. Ive always wanted to get a fly rod to keep on my boat and to use on vacation when I'm on the fish. At home, I primarily inshore fish for redfish(14"-25" typically) , trout(up to 20"), but what I really want to have it for is tripletail(up to 20lbs) when bait is scarce. I also catch snook down in N Captiva on vacation on the beach(up to 30") I am a total rookie and don't want to buy the wrong setup. Is the above link going to be suitable? Should I get the rod that's $229 and then upgrade the reel (second link ) bc I don't like buying junk but I'm not well versed on the fly gear. Any input is appreciated

An 8wt is what's on the link you posted, a 9wt would be fine as well. I agree with Don, unless your gift card will cover the entire combo. The TFO BVK is the best fly rod under $500 ever made in my, and many others opinion. 

You can cast the smallest trout flies with a 12wt, the tricky part is large flies with smaller rods, lighter line. Keep in mind- you're casting the line, not the fly. 

Accuracy is waaaay more important than distance. Especially in the marshes where you'll be in tannin stained water most of the year except winter. Sometimes you'll need to drop it right on them, especially if they're eating since their face will be buried in the mud. The good thing is the fish (I'm speaking of Jacksonville to Charleston redfish) are a lot less spooky than reds in super clear water so unless you line them you can usually get more than one shot at them. Concentrate on accuracy at all times, the distance will come with casting time on the water, or in the back yard. 

No it will be a long, long time before you’ll be casting any rod 90-100 feet. Some of the most accomplished fly fishermen can’t and don’t need to cast that far. Initially think in terms of 30-50 feet. Typical fly line is about 90 feet. Using your numbers you’d be casting into the backing or more. Suggest you google the double haul for getting more distance. Lots of good videos, especially from Orvis ( Peter). Practice, practice and maybe consider some lessons. Just my $.02.

dh

Hope you don't mind me chiming in but would like too. Been salt water fly fishing a long time, but I honed my cast  on fresh water ponds for bass. No need for distance, you will learn to make accurate casts to structure, pads, logs so forth which will enhance your ability to shoot a fly and drop it just in front of a mangrove, or tailing fish. You will probably be out of the wind too which can be very frustrating.  If you work on a good 40 foot cast the distance you are looking for will come with time. Try too hard at first for distance and you may become quite discouraged, not to mention developing a possible injury to your elbow,(tennis) or shoulder. I agree with all that has been said, accuracy is important, the fly has to go where you want to. Good idea on your part to  hook up with your local fly shop too. 

I have two older Orvis reels that I have used in the salt, not salt specific but both have served me well. I am a finactic about cleaning gear. I do not own a Hydros, but I have heard good things about the reel. Probably one of the best deals out there. I now own  Nautilus, Colton and Tibor which are salt specific and have sealed drags. Just my preference, fish certainly don't care.

As mentioned , great tutorials on UTube, taking a lesson is sound advice too.

See if you can try out the rod before you buy, I like fast stiff rods, I have Sage and TFOs. I know several people who love the TFO BVK, I tried it, did not like it,ended up buying the TFO Clouser in a 7wt. My others are 8wt/9wt/10wt.Sage XI3s and TFO TCRX.  I have a real passion for the sport it, the tug is the drug as they say!

Practice, practice, practice

Best of luck

Flytime

If you're just starting out, I wouldn't buy a stiff, fast action rod until you're comfortable casting. A rod with more flex will allow you to feel the rod load more easily, which makes learning to cast easier.

See if you can try some demos at your local fly shop. I haven't been in too many fly shops where they weren't extremely helpful in trying to find what works best for you.

Slight change in plans. Well now I’m consider the Orvis Recon 9 w as well instead of the tfo bvk . For just starting out is there any reason to have a $450 rod instead of the Clearwater9w? I ended up with way more loot (store credit...thx Pops) than I thought so might as well get everything at the local shop. Just when I thought I had my shopping list complete. Any of y’all casted these 2 for a side by side comparison. I’m going to get a hydros v reel for either setup

https://m.orvis.com/category/recon-fly-rods/14TS/

https://m.orvis.com/category/clearwater-fly-rods/4Y1H/

I relied on the fly shop. We went up a weight so I could maybe get a little extra distance. The name of the line is slipping my mind but I have everything up at my shop and I’m headed up there today to spend the day piddling. I’ll post back, if y’all think of a better line for my application let me know. I’m basically relying on this forum and the fly shop at this point. None of my buddies fly fish so I don’t really have anyone to bounce questions off of

Archived